Young hen with one swollen wattle

Lyndssxo08

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Purcellville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
This is one of the young hens I hatched back in February of this year. She’s been doing great but when I went out to feed everyone this evening I found her up on one of the posts just laying down by herself (totally not herself whatsoever ever). I noticed one of her wattles was pretty swollen compared to the other. She is still eating and drinking and has the energy to walk around, but worried about her wattle and her having a disease after all that I have read. I have her in the house now by herself, got some pain meds and antibiotics in her as well as sprayed some vetericyn on her wattle as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? We don’t have a vet around here that really knows what they’re doing when it comes to poultry so that’s kinda out of the question. Thanks in advance!

97C7F7D8-7871-4C66-A156-6533252EFF94.jpeg
82B2A956-7976-474B-8A84-C898FE1124A0.jpeg

Is that a scrape or old injury on the wattle?

No other symptoms like gurgles, swelling elsewhere, weird drainage?
I'd be worried about the lethargy. Just a bug bite shouldn't make the average hen so sad...I would think.
No she’s eating cheese and her feed along with drinking water and happy as always lol. Just seems lethargic. I got a q tip and looks like a scrape or something on the wattle after cleaning it up and I noticed her throat seemed a little swollen on the same side as her swollen wattle too

It appears that her wattle was pecked or injured. Is there anything sharp or stapicking out around the coop or run? Any wire fencing or a nail? A swollen wattle would be very painful. Could she be getting sick from something unrelated, and possibly attacked by another chicken? I would make sure that she is eating and drinking, and take a look at her droppings for anything unusual. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, firm, or puffy.

It appears that her wattle was pecked or injured. Is there anything sharp or stapicking out around the coop or run? Any wire fencing or a nail? A swollen wattle would be very painful. Could she be getting sick from something unrelated, and possibly attacked by another chicken? I would make sure that she is eating and drinking, and take a look at her droppings for anything unusual. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, firm, or puffy.

@Eggcessive Ahhh you’re always to my rescue! I seriously need to meet you one of these days lol!

There’s wire all around our run so something could have happened for sure! Here is a closer up picture I just took while I have her inside with better lighting. I have her antibiotics like 4 hours ago so her droppings are abnormal due to that, so hard to tell if they were weird before.

40BF77D0-47E9-4345-8E31-68F3DF6E3178.jpeg

Looks like a scrape and a small puncture, right before the wattle really bubbles up.
Could've been just small enough for exterior to heal over but an infection set in.
I'm going out on a limb (wattle?) here and presuming that much like humans, an infection in chickens could occur under the skin and travel along the same side of the body, as human lymphatic system might carry the infection.

If you've already cleaned her up, and medicated her, might not be much to do at this time.
If she's eating and drinking with the flock then I'd leave her with them. If she needs more direct attention, bring inside and keep in a calm place.
I'm thinking you already know all this :) looks like you've got it we'll handled.
How about a nice high protein treat for her? Just to make sure something good is in her belly.

Looks like a scrape and a small puncture, right before the wattle really bubbles up.
Could've been just small enough for exterior to heal over but an infection set in.
I'm going out on a limb (wattle?) here and presuming that much like humans, an infection in chickens could occur under the skin and travel along the same side of the body, as human lymphatic system might carry the infection.

If you've already cleaned her up, and medicated her, might not be much to do at this time.
If she's eating and drinking with the flock then I'd leave her with them. If she needs more direct attention, bring inside and keep in a calm place.
I'm thinking you already know all this :) looks like you've got it we'll handled.
How about a nice high protein treat for her? Just to make sure something good is in her belly.

Thank you! Yeah I have her on antibiotics and pain killer so let’s hope it gets better from here!

Back
Top Bottom