Young Jenny Just Died

LeilaniMakai

Hatching
Oct 19, 2018
We have chickens and a Tom, which is about a year old on 21 acres. A friend hatched out a wild turkey egg and raised the Jenny to 5-months old. Because "Sammi" was becoming aggressive and flying off, she decided to bring her to our farm. I suggested that they put Sammi into their aviary at night for a couple weeks (she lived in the house with them) to get her acclimated to being outside at night before bringing her to me. That didn't happen. We fixed up a nice sized dog run, mulch, nice covering, great ventilation, etc., for her. Two mornings later Sammi was lying under her perch dead. No blood, no missing feathers, nothing. The weather although cool was not cold, she was covered from the light rain we had in the evenings. Her food and water were clean and fresh. She had been just fine the day before, as they came to walk her around the property. She followed them around like a dog. They are heartbroken and devastated by her death. I've read about Sudden Death in turkeys, infections, etc., but there was absolutely no signs of illness. My thinking was that something startled her and she fell from her perch and the fall killed her. The perch was about 3ft from the ground. Since she was only 5-months old, I don't think a heart attack was the reason, but who knows. Any thoughts about this? They haven't talked to me since, and that was a few days ago.

We have chickens and a Tom, which is about a year old on 21 acres. A friend hatched out a wild turkey egg and raised the Jenny to 5-months old. Because "Sammi" was becoming aggressive and flying off, she decided to bring her to our farm. I suggested that they put Sammi into their aviary at night for a couple weeks (she lived in the house with them) to get her acclimated to being outside at night before bringing her to me. That didn't happen. We fixed up a nice sized dog run, mulch, nice covering, great ventilation, etc., for her. Two mornings later Sammi was lying under her perch dead. No blood, no missing feathers, nothing. The weather although cool was not cold, she was covered from the light rain we had in the evenings. Her food and water were clean and fresh. She had been just fine the day before, as they came to walk her around the property. She followed them around like a dog. They are heartbroken and devastated by her death. I've read about Sudden Death in turkeys, infections, etc., but there was absolutely no signs of illness. My thinking was that something startled her and she fell from her perch and the fall killed her. The perch was about 3ft from the ground. Since she was only 5-months old, I don't think a heart attack was the reason, but who knows. Any thoughts about this? They haven't talked to me since, and that was a few days ago.
My neighbor is losing his turkey's left and right, with no signs or symptoms. The only thing I could suggest would be to have a necropsy done, but it's probably too late for that with this one. It could just be so many things it's hard to tell. Anything from moldy feed, to a respiratory infection, to as you say, fright. They are very sensitive until they are full grown, and even then things can and do happen. I'm so very sorry for your, and their loss.

My neighbor is losing his turkey's left and right, with no signs or symptoms. The only thing I could suggest would be to have a necropsy done, but it's probably too late for that with this one. It could just be so many things it's hard to tell. Anything from moldy feed, to a respiratory infection, to as you say, fright. They are very sensitive until they are full grown, and even then things can and do happen. I'm so very sorry for your, and their loss.
Thank you, I know it is a hard one. I would have suggested a
Thank You. I would have suggested a necropsy, but I think that would have sent them over the edge.

Back
Top Bottom