Young peacock attacking rooster

Ros

Hatching
Mar 22, 2018
I have a 15mth old peacock, I've had him for 3 mths. He lives in a big chicken coop. Until 2 weeks ago I would let the 3 chickens and 1 rooster free roam during the day, and lock them up at night, but a fox took a chicken 2 weeks ago. The rooster use to like to stay in the coop with the peacock. 3 days ago the rooster started hiding his head. Yesterday I saw the peacock attack the rooster by standing on him. He's a small placid rooster. Any idea of why the peacock is now attacking the rooster ? When do you think I should allow the peacock to free roam during the day, I worry he'll run away ? I'm going to let the chickens free roam again on the weekend. Appreciate your advice.

I have a 15mth old peacock, I've had him for 3 mths. He lives in a big chicken coop. Until 2 weeks ago I would let the 3 chickens and 1 rooster free roam during the day, and lock them up at night, but a fox took a chicken 2 weeks ago. The rooster use to like to stay in the coop with the peacock. 3 days ago the rooster started hiding his head. Yesterday I saw the peacock attack him. He's a small placid rooster. Any idea of why the peacock is now attacking the rooster ? When do you think I should allow the peacock to free roam during the day, I worry he'll run away ? I'm going to let the chickens free roam again on the weekend. Appreciate your advice.
Welcome to BYC! It's breeding season, so that's probably why he's attacking the rooster. I keep mine in pens, so I can't offer any advice on when to let him out.

Welcome to BYC! It's breeding season, so that's probably why he's attacking the rooster. I keep mine in pens, so I can't offer any advice on when to let him out.
Thankyou for that, how long does breeding season last for ? Is it only once a year ?

I have various bird species roaming free and this time of year, the male fowl (turkey, peacock, etc) all get aggressive (and vocal) with one another all because of it being breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom