young pullet walked on and now can't walk

mandarin1

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2015
I went out the other morning to check on my young pullets to find that one of them was laying on her side and being walked on. I have six of them in one of those chicken coops that's made for up to 6 adult birds until they are big enough to go in with the bigger birds in the large coop/run (there is plenty of room for them as they are still very young). I cleared the other birds off her and realized she wasn't getting up, so I immediately brought her inside and put her in my brooder with food and water. She has been eating, drinking, having normal excrements, chirping, basically being a normal chicken except she still cannot walk. She stretches her legs out straight to stretch out every once in a while, stretches her wings, she can move her legs and she curls her toes around my finger, etc., but in order for her to move to and from the water, feed, and just to get around she has been moving by pivoting side to side I guess is the easiest way to describe it. I'm not sure if this is a spinal issue, but if it was then wouldn't she not be able to move her legs at all? I just don't know if this is something that she just needs to have recovery time or if this is going to be a life long problem for her and she won't ever be able to walk? We don't have any avian vets anywhere close to us, so I'm looking for any suggestions on what I should do here. If it sounds like something that she can recovery from I just want to make her comfortable until she can recover, but if this is something that she isn't going to be able to recover from I don't want her to be in misery either, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Give her chick vitamins in her water that contain riboflavin. She may have suffered an injury, have a vitamin deficiency, or could be suffering from something more serious like Mareks disease. How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks. Coccidiosis can also cause symptoms that look like this. Dehydration is another one. I would bring another of her flockmates in with her for company, so that she will eat better. Watch her for any further symptoms, and keep us up to date on how she is doing.

These are chicks that I hatched out from my flock and all are healthy and free from disease. They hatched on May 7, so they're just over a month old. I have not vaccinated for Marek's, but I do not have any other birds showing any of these symptoms from either my adult birds or babies. I do have some vitamins with riboflavin, so I will go ahead and get her started on that. She is eating and drinking all the time, so there's no issue there and no blood in her stools. I did go ahead and start her on medicated chick feed just to be safe and so far no signs of improvement with her walking. They also are in constant supply of fresh food and water and when it's really hot out I put fresh, cold water out several times a day, however, she is inside now and not having to deal with the heat. I did not bring in any flockmates with her, because I was afraid if it is a serious injury that they would possibly walk on her and do more harm, but if you think it would benefit her I will gladly give her some company. I will continue to update on her condition and I appreciate your advice!
smile.png

They always love company, but watch to make sure she is not trampled. Perhaps choose a more meek chick, or rotate several for "visits." If that doesn't sound possible, use a small mirrow and a fuzzy stuffed animal.

It might also be beneficial to make a chicken sling for her to support her in an upright position as lying on her side for long periods will put stress on her internal organs. They are relatively easy to make and you could possibly put her out in a dog crate with the others in her sling so that she can still be part of the flock. It can be as simple as stapling a piece of old t shirt fabric loosely over the open end of a cardboard box and cutting holes for her legs to go through and one where her vent is to allow poop to drop through. and a collection tray for it underneath. You can also make holes in the front corners and insert yoghurt cartons to hold food and water within reach. The idea is that she is suspended in an upright position ideally with her legs just touching the ground but without the need to support any weight. If you do a search on chicken slings you will find images of various home made options, some simple, others more professional looking. The important thing is to keep her upright.

Good luck with her.

Regards

Barbara

I actually have a "runt" chick that I have put in with her and it seems to be going well so far, I'm hoping it encourages her, so she heals faster. She has actually started sitting up on her feet, so she is not always on her side now, but she still uses her side to side pivoting motion to get around, so it seems as though she has made a little progress since she is now putting pressure on her legs, they're just not working properly yet. I will definitely look into the chicken slings and see if it would be beneficial for her. I really appreciate all the help from everyone and the great suggestions, thank you so much!!!

Just an update, after her having the vitamins in the water, medicated feed, and a buddy in there for a couple days she has begun walking again!
wee.gif
She still loses her balance every once in a while, but it looks like she will make a full recovery and can go back with the other birds in a few days once she is no longer losing her balance, thank you again so much for your help!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom