young pullets

Crazy Chick Resort

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
San Antonio Texas
So I have 2 young (5 months) pullets that i introduced to my (older 3year) flock. They have all learned to live with one another, except, for the two pullets. One pullet pecks on the other pullet at bedtime, they both came from the same flock and always run together during the day. I check on them every night to make sure all 5 are in the coop at night and last night, i found that one pullet on top of the other. I assume she was beating on her, as the other one cried. As i tried to separate them, she pecked at my stick and wanted to stay next to her pullet sister. Any advice? Will be leaving for a weekend in two weeks and will not have anyone to check on them at night.

Thanks for responding. I go out each night to make sure they all get in the coop before the door closes and to turn their fan on. So I just notice this the past few days, I try and make them move apart from each other, I use a stick to to help move her since the first time i tried she pecked my hand. I stay out there until it stops, as they do stop after a while, I am just so concerned for the one that is being pecked... and now sat on! What do you recommend?

Provided the pecked on pullet is not being injured by the other pullet, I wouldn't do a thing. They'll eventually settle down for the night on their own and stop tussling, or the pecked on pullet will learn to move elsewhere if she cannot take it anymore.

If she is being injured that's a different matter, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case?

No, she is not being injured, I checked. I just love them so much and constantly out there making sure they are staying cool, I guess I see more than the norm. They bring me such joy and I guess I just want them to be Happy Crazy Chicks!! Thank you so much.

Yeah it can be distressing to watch, but it really is normal. I see hens trying to drive away birds they don't like as much, climbing over each other, trying to push/pull each other out of the way, but once it gets dark, they all quiet down regardless if they got the exact spot they wanted.

Back
Top Bottom