Young Roo Chasing Pullets

Agnesmash

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
I have a young (1 yr) Silkie rooster that was abandoned on our property before we moved in. He’s been alone for about 8 months and very skittish. We purchased 8 pullets (11 weeks old now) and followed all the steps of brooder, to larger brooder, to sectioned off coop, look no touch integration, to free range in large fenced enclosure. He has been fantastic doing all the things roosters do for their hens. However, today I went to open the coop to find him chasing 2 pullets, with the six others huddled high on the perch. He chased every bird around the run while they were eating, and then again out in the free range area. Puffing up, shuffling his feet, lowered posture, then back to protecting and tid-bitting. What the heck? Should I be worried?

Could he be just a little ~excited~ about females? The shuffling and low posture could be him either checking them out for mating or as competition for top-dog. At least, that's what I've experienced, although I've only ever had young roosters and older hens when the young roosters displayed this behavior.

Could he be just a little ~excited~ about females? The shuffling and low posture could be him either checking them out for mating or as competition for top-dog. At least, that's what I've experienced, although I've only ever had young roosters and older hens when the young roosters displayed this behavior.
I was thinking that too. He’s a bit of a pushover. They peck him, snag his treats, he just stands there and lets them do it. I think they took his top roost in the coop as well. I hope he’s not try to mate because the girls are too young. Should I be concerned with them being together again in the coop tonight? If, and/ or when should I intervene?

I was thinking that too. He’s a bit of a pushover. They peck him, snag his treats, he just stands there and lets them do it. I think they took his top roost in the coop as well. I hope he’s not try to mate because the girls are too young. Should I be concerned with them being together again in the coop tonight? If, and/ or when should I intervene?
Usually my rule is "if blood is drawn, we have a problem". If they peck each other and pull out a feather here and there, they could be simply adjusting and figuring out their pecking order--intervening would only extend how long this takes. If they bleed or patches of feathers are visibly missing from any bird, it is becoming dangerous and you need to intervene. If the girls really are young, then he might be unsure. My 2 y/o Dark Brahma roo has never mated with pullets or attempted to mate with them until they were old enough to be deemed 'hens'. That might just be my perfect lil' (giant) boy, but I think you shouldn't be worried until you see him mating for the first time.

Usually my rule is "if blood is drawn, we have a problem". If they peck each other and pull out a feather here and there, they could be simply adjusting and figuring out their pecking order--intervening would only extend how long this takes. If they bleed or patches of feathers are visibly missing from any bird, it is becoming dangerous and you need to intervene. If the girls really are young, then he might be unsure. My 2 y/o Dark Brahma roo has never mated with pullets or attempted to mate with them until they were old enough to be deemed 'hens'. That might just be my perfect lil' (giant) boy, but I think you shouldn't be worried until you see him mating for the first time.
So you feel this is quite possibly mating behavior? I wouldn’t know, because I’m a newbie, first timer. Never seen chickens mate before, have to go on what I’ve read and the advice given here. These animals are fascinating and I’m enjoying everything so far, having been thrown into it feet first. Roosters aren’t the only ones wanting to protect these little cuties!

So you feel this is quite possibly mating behavior? I wouldn’t know, because I’m a newbie, first timer. Never seen chickens mate before, have to go on what I’ve read and the advice given here. These animals are fascinating and I’m enjoying everything so far, having been thrown into it feet first. Roosters aren’t the only ones wanting to protect these little cuties!
it could be, but unfortunately I've never experienced having only YOUNG girls and OLD rooster(s). I've always had the opposite, so I don't know if this is mating or simply him excited to have hens to take care of/being top-dog. It's usual for (at least mine) roosters to let hens pick on them or to lay with them and show them where food is, but they have to get comfortable and familiar with each other first. This might be the process they're in currently.

it could be, but unfortunately I've never experienced having only YOUNG girls and OLD rooster(s). I've always had the opposite, so I don't know if this is mating or simply him excited to have hens to take care of/being top-dog. It's usual for (at least mine) roosters to let hens pick on them or to lay with them and show them where food is, but they have to get comfortable and familiar with each other first. This might be the process they're in currently.
Thank you very much for the insight. I don’t feel so worried anymore. Update: Everyone is acting “normal“ this afternoon. It could have been mr. rooster asserting himself after being dethroned from the high perch by young birds.

He's probably just asserting his dominance.
If he keeps trying to mate them incessantly, that's problem.

Back
Top Bottom