Young Roo: Feathering Questions

BayAreaMike408

Chirping
Nov 24, 2020
San Jose, Ca
My young Roo- he’s 13 weeks old purchased as a female green queen- missexed.

we’re not able to keep him; city law prevents it, but we were lucky to find a good new home for him. Before I drop him off, I was hoping for one last round of confirmations he’s a boy.
His hackle and saddle feathers started ‘changing colors’. They’ve lightened specifically around the backside of the neck and he’s no longer solid grey. He’s also much bigger than the others. I assume this is 100% boy confirmation? I’ve never had a missexed day old and this is our first rooster so I’m trying to learn the signs while he’s still here and I can look closer at him.
He’s going to be a beauty.

567EC565-2EFB-4E95-B0DF-A3447307C4E3.jpeg
99933611-23E4-460D-8771-CC08CC5E7301.jpeg

36854512-42C0-491E-9E4E-7DC061C9085A.jpeg
AABC5F4A-16B6-4ED5-9980-44446278205B.jpeg

Yes, cockerel.
What your looking at is here.

cockerel.png
For the age, the comb is large and red, a cockerel trait. Pullets won't turn red and bright until they're ready to lay; between 16-20 weeks or later.

His hackle (neck) feathers are already starting to get the elongated flowyness that cockerels have.

His wing bars are nice and dark, this is a male color pattern, not female. You can see it better in the first pic you posted.

The two circles over his rump and under his wing... I've circled male specific saddle feathers coming in. Females have saddle feathers too, but they're rounded and puffy. Males have long, pointed and flowy saddle feathers.

@Frazzemrat1 thank you for posting. It’s exactly what I was hoping for, so that I can learn going forward.

I forgot to mention that adult saddle feathers don't start coming in until around 12 weeks, so your next batch of chicks... don't start looking for those until after they've gotten older. The earliest signs of cockerels are bright red combs before 12 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom