Young Roo with Swollen, Sore Neck

bonjourbunnie

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
Hello!

My little boy "Momma's Bird," has had a red, itchy spot on the back of his neck for about a week now. It started off very small, and has spread to cover the majority of the back of his neck. It seems similar to a hot spot, or as if his new feather growth is causing issues. The skin is pink, swollen, and definitely bothering him, because he itches at it pretty regularly, and seems a bit "down," albeit not "sick." He is a four week old Easter Egger.

I have been applying Neosporin cream to it, which seems to help some with it drying out or having open wounds from scratching at it, but it isn't clearing up. He seems to be slightly thin in comparison to my other chicks (though he's still eating well from my hand and the feeder, and was competitive for this afternoon's treat of boiled eggs with the other little piggies, so I may just be being a "mother hen," here), but is separating himself from the tiny guy flock a bit more than I'd like today, so I am concerned it's an issue I need to be taking greater action on than I presently am.

They all finished up their maintenance period of Corid yesterday, if that is significant, and I have already introduced them to a whey and probiotic supplement to catch them up nutritionally from the treatment. Everyone seems to be doing well and feeling better now, except Momma's, so I think it has more to do with his neck than lingering cooties.

I know I've seen questions similar while buried in this section before, but of course, can't find them now! 😅🤣 Thank y'all in advance for your help 💕

Got some pictures this evening (a plastic lid with some feed on it is a great chick photo lure!):
IMG_20230403_201348933.jpg

IMG_20230403_201346330.jpg

The others could be pecking at it, because it is red, making it larger and from healing. How much room do they have in their brooder? Do they have a lot of things to explore. What is the temperature? A dab of Betadine might color it brown, or block him off from the others for a bit.

The others could be pecking at it, because it is red, making it larger and from healing. How much room do they have in their brooder? Do they have a lot of things to explore. What is the temperature? A dab of Betadine might color it brown, or block him off from the others for a bit.
They are in a six by five foot area with a variety of roosts at different heights, and two bins in different areas to provide a variety of nooks to get space or hide if they need to. It's warmish this week, and their brooder stays around 65-70 on the coldest nights in the corners, with around 80 or so by their heat. I spend a fair amount of time watching them, and have not seen anyone picking on him, but that of course doesn't mean that isn't happening. He is older than the others by about a week (he was just Momma before he grew in his lovely red chest feathers, lol, because they would try and lay under him all the time when they first got here 🤣), but is also more inclined to darting out of a situation than engaging in a spar from observing his behavior. I will pick up some Betadine, and see if that helps keep everyone from poking at it. He's doing enough himself 😅

Back
Top Bottom