Young rooster - problems with legs and walking

CuteChick369

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have a rooster who is about 6 months old. He was born just fine, but a couple months ago, one foot began to curl. He continued to walk on the side of the foot, but his walking got progressively worse. About a month ago he got worse really fast and his other leg began to stiffen and toes curl too.

The rooster actually belongs to a friend, and I agreed to help him at my house. So, I've had him here for about a month now. When I first got him, both legs were very stiff, and I would gently but firmly bend them back and forth several times per day to try to loosen them up. Also, I started giving him B2 (100mg per day), and NutriDrench (1mL) and Poli Vi Sol (no iron) (1mL) each day. After a couple days, his legs loosened up and his toes stopped curling so bad, but he still couldn't walk. When I'd set him down, he'd do the splits and have a really hard time getting his legs under him. After a couple weeks of these vitamins daily, he started getting better and putting his legs under him and "perching" on the ground, but still struggles with balance and will flap around all over the place until he can catch his balance and get his legs back under him. Because of his very unstable balance, I usually have to hold him when he eats and drinks. He does eat and drink VERY well, he has a great appetite.

A few days ago, someone said to try giving him Selenium supplement, so I've added that.

I made a sling for him so he can hang in it and put weight on his legs, but he is not the least bit interested in even trying to stand. He enjoys hanging in the sling, but I have to physically put his feet on the ground, and after a few minutes, he just pulls them back up again, without really even knowing he's doing it, I think.

I am just curious if anyone else has had anything similar happen to their chickens. I'm thankful that we stopped the fast progression of this issue, but the improvement is sooooo slow, that I'm wondering if he's improving at all.

I've thought maybe his legs are broken, but they honestly feel the same as my other chickens. Or maybe he has a brain injury, but why would he have the slow progression of symptoms, and then sudden drop off? No other chickens are sick, so we are very doubtful it's Mereks. It really seems like a vitamin deficiency, but I'm giving him so many vitamins and just not seeing enough improvement.

He has a decent life, for a crippled chicken. During the day he is in our yard in a chicken tractor, where he can be with my other chickens, but safe too. He seems content, eating grass and looking around. The past couple days he's started to preen himself, but not a lot because he does lose his balance so easily. At night he sits in a cat bed and watches TV with us. If we have a camp fire, he sits in his cat bed near the fire and seems to enjoy watching the sparks. We've taken him on a few road trips (since we can't just leave him in a cage with food and water - his balance is not good enough to be able to eat and drink without help). We are strongly considering taking him to a vet, but I'm curious if anyone has thoughts what could be going on with him and what else I can try!

Thanks so much!

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease, or can you find that out from your friend? I would either give 3 ml of the Poultry Nutri-Drench or 3 drops daily of the Polyvisol, but not both. A cheaper solution for vitamins is to use Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus in the water or Poultry Booster in the feed. That way he would get the correct daily dose of vitamins. Eggs, meat, fish, nuts and sunflower seeds all contain selenium, which is only needed in a small amount daily. Riboflavin or B2 deficiency may be treatable in a certain amount of time, but hopefully he will recover. He sounds like he could be showing signs of Mareks disease, but hopefully it's just a vitamin deficiency.

He was not vaccinated. I hope it's not Mareks. He came from a flock of 60 and had leg problems for about 2 or 3 months before I took him. No one else shows any signs, and he shows no other symptoms either. Gosh, I hope that's not what it is.

I will try your vitamin suggestions. Do you think it's possible I'm giving too many vitamins and that's making his recovery slower? I'm giving the nutri drench AND poli vi sol, and 50 mg per day of selenium, 100 mg per day of b2. If he has a b2 deficiency, are you saying we may not have caught it fast enough? Or, it'll just take more time?

We took him to the vet this morning. We found a vet a couple hours away who specializes in chickens. His xrays were perfect, good bone and muscle. It's clearly a nerve issue, likely the sciatic nerve. The vet feels strong it's Mereks, which really scares me. He explained that Mareks is highly contagious, but it doesn't always show symptoms.

We haven't decided what to do yet. The vet suggested to just keep him comfortable and as long as he's eating, drinking and preening, then he has a good quality of life. Fletcher does seem happy, he talks to us and the chickens and interacts well. But, I'm worried about my flock. Fletcher came from a flock of 70 or so chickens, and no one shows symptoms. I have 10 chickens, and everyone is still healthy. I don't want to put my chickens at risk, but if they have already been exposed, then I guess there is no harm in keeping Fletcher while he's happy.

Soooo, if we do keep him a while longer (that's what I'm leaning towards), I would like to boost my flock's immunity as much as possible. I am going to research that, but any suggestions? I'm thinking of rooster booster at least.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom