Young rooster trying to breed 2 month old chicks

Yonny

Chirping
Jun 28, 2020
I have a young Easter egger roo, just starting to grow his spurs, who’s a hormonal mess right now. He has 3 hens around his age 2 are not laying yet 1 is but none will let him breed. He just started dancing for the 1 but mostly he just chases them around.
Anyways I caught him penning and trying to mount my 2 mo chicks that I just started letting out to free range this weekend. They’ve been brooded in the chicken shed with everybody else since they were a couple weeks old thanks to the nice weather in a look-don’t-touch area.
I’m hoping he’s just being a young dumb teenager and have penned him as others have suggested, but for how long does he need to be penned? He is a very respectful roo as far as humans are concerned and even tolerates my 6 yo constantly chasing and harassing him. Is there any hope this is just a phase?
Side note: The hens do chase and peck the littles but nothing over the top. Not worried about them.
Thanks for reading, I tried to include as much info as possible but letme know if I forgot anything. 🤗

I'd leave him penned for a couple of months personally. Until the chicks are closer to maturity, and his hormones settle out some. I often pen my young ones up for over eager behaviors.

I figured it wouldn’t be a quick process.. Thanks for the reply. Guess we’ll see if he settles down or I do believe I have a roo or 2 in my chickies.

Back
Top Bottom