Young Rooster Woes

Thank you for that link. We plan on increasing the flock, but figured I wouldn't need saddles after we get rid of this young rooster. But now I see they can be used for other things - keeping hens warm or covered when feathers are missing or clean when there's a wound.

I think the injury is a fox attack ..it is not a coincidence that she got the injury on the day the fox showed up . He bit her but didnt get a firm hold and tore off the skin .
She will more than likely recover

Ya know, that could be true. It looks like the size of a bite. We test drove a saddle on her about 5 days ago (took it off immediately because the rooster lost his mind when he saw the predator eyes on it), but I can't imagine that wound she has today was there and we just missed it. So you're probably right.

Everything is the first time for us with these chickens. So everything I do feels unsure. Unless the stars have something else planned for him, the rooster is leaving ASAP.

I don’t know if it would matter to you but I keep a bantam roo with my standard size girls.
He doesn’t damage them at all but keeps watch for them.
He’s a Brahma bantam which is a “larger” sized one and he’s able to mate them but has never pulled out feathers or done any damage.
If you ever want a roo again you might consider a bantam.
I think they’re great.

Back
Top Bottom