young runner hatched 4 and still on nest - Help! she sitting on loads

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jaqueelee, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jaqueelee

jaqueelee New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Brentwood
    Its lovely to see this little bird and she is so protective and proud of her brood of four - she hasnt left the nest at all since the babies hatched two days ago - she is sharing with an abacot ranger who seems to sit when she goes out - and is now her alarm system - she warns us off and hides the babies. Should I let this little bird continue sitting - if not how do I move her to remove eggs and encourage her to look after those already hatched - she has done so well i dont want to put her off - but dont actually want thousands of ducks either.... One of the babies got out of the duck house yesterday and neither of them went looking for it - i found it chasing my rather confused pekin! So not sure what mothering there is going to be and dont want to have to bring them in to a brooder. I am going to fence off the hen house today to make it a baby safe area - the little duck was also trying to get in the pond..

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is the Abacot Ranger actually broody and sitting full time now- or just ramdomly?? If she is you could remove the Runner with her four babies carefully from the nest area and put her in a safe secure area of her own to care for the babies- and leave the other duck to continue sitting on the eggs. You may need to remove some of them down to a number that she can cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by