Young Turkey poult with strange neck problem??

@R2elk when people say they will recover if you give it time- is that more of a generalized statement about silkies with wry neck?
I try to know as little as possible about Silkies. I do know that wry neck is a symptom and is not a disease. It can be caused by many different things, one of which is aspergillis. I personally know a person that has dealt with wry neck often. In that person's case, I believe that there was one successful recovery of the numerous cases dealt with.

Personally my poultry are not pets to me and I cull at any sign of disease or other problems. If it were my poult, I would have culled it immediately. Yes I do understand how emotionally people get attached to these babies and I think it is best to make the decisions without considering the emotional attachments.

I try to know as little as possible about Silkies. I do know that wry neck is a symptom and is not a disease. It can be caused by many different things, one of which is aspergillis. I personally know a person that has dealt with wry neck often. In that person's case, I believe that there was one successful recovery of the numerous cases dealt with.

Personally my poultry are not pets to me and I cull at any sign of disease or other problems. If it were my poult, I would have culled it immediately. Yes I do understand how emotionally people get attached to these babies and I think it is best to make the decisions without considering the emotional attachments.
Absolutely they should. But I digress, I’m a typical sentimental woman that way- I get way too attached to these birds. At times my heart breaks because I haven’t been able to make the humane call I knew I should’ve. Perhaps that means I have no business owning birds. Or maybe it means I’m an awesome chicken and turkey mom. God only knows. But while I’ve ended with my fair amount of success stories due to my soft heart and tenacity - was it right for me to put the birds through what they went through in order to get better? Who knows. Actually, in my heart- I probably do know the answer. But like I said, I’ve gotten pretty darn lucky so far (knocks wood) as far as final outcomes of my rehabilitation efforts. Does it mean that I haven’t had moments wrought with guilt for being... selfish? Is that the right word? Dedicated? Stubborn? I don’t know. I do know I love my birds a lot more than maybe I should. So I’m not saying you’re wrong. On the contrary- you are right. I’m just too much of a girl sometimes I suppose.:he

Absolutely they should. But I digress, I’m a typical sentimental woman that way- I get way too attached to these birds. At times my heart breaks because I haven’t been able to make the humane call I knew I should’ve. Perhaps that means I have no business owning birds. Or maybe it means I’m an awesome chicken and turkey mom. God only knows. But while I’ve ended with my fair amount of success stories due to my soft heart and tenacity - was it right for me to put the birds through what they went through in order to get better? Who knows. Actually, in my heart- I probably do know the answer. But like I said, I’ve gotten pretty darn lucky so far (knocks wood) as far as final outcomes of my rehabilitation efforts. Does it mean that I haven’t had moments wrought with guilt for being... selfish? Is that the right word? Dedicated? Stubborn? I don’t know. I do know I love my birds a lot more than maybe I should. So I’m not saying you’re wrong. On the contrary- you are right. I’m just too much of a girl sometimes I suppose.:he
The other problem with saving ones that should not be saved is that the predisposition to some of these afflictions can be hereditary. People do not take that into consideration and end up compounding the problem by having their favorites make babies.

The other problem with saving ones that should not be saved is that the predisposition to some of these afflictions can be hereditary. People do not take that into consideration and end up compounding the problem by having their favorites make babies.
Oh. That’s true. However- I’m not one of those. My wry neck fella I saved lives in my home still. What’s funny is I still call her a him. But it’s a her. She will not be permitted to hatch anything. Not ever! But good point!

Back
Top Bottom