Young turkey sudden lethargy

Pics

yesterDAYNE

yurkey crazy
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
Oklahoma
I really didn't want to post because I get embarrassed every time I jump the gun and post too soon on an issue, but I don't want to risk not acting fast enough and losing a life as a result.

These turkeys are 4 months old.

The past 4 days I had noticed one poop a day in their pen that had blood in it. Just one, and only once a day. I noticed on the last day that one of them was acting off, and saw that one do one of the bloody poops. We have had issues with coccidiosis and these kids, I treated my 2 blue red bronze twice already with corid, and then these 3 sweetgrass with corid once when they arrived due to bloody stools. I took the poop in to my vet clinic and did a fecal float and looked under the microscope, and found nothing. The blood was definitely intestine lining, as it was all stuck together in a strand. I went ahead and put them on Corid again.
1631583423520.png

Today I noticed that baby is acting better, and there were no bloody poops to be seen today. However, my beloved blue red bronze jenny, Harper, was suddenly acting lethargic. The day before she had been running and jumping and eating and drinking and pooping just fine. Suddenly she was coming up to me, laying next to me or in my lap and closing her eyes and making this one really cute noise that I can't put a name on, but I only used to hear them make it at night when going to sleep. She spent the entire day walking slowly, hanging around me when I was out, and laying around. I witnessed her try to eat multiple times, only to take a few bites (I don't know if she actually ate them either or just dropped them all), and then walk off. We made eggs, boiled and scrambled, to see if she'd eat. She ate some, but mostly dropped them and got uninterested. She hadn't pooped around me in the span of an hour at that point, so I decided to give her some chilled coconut oil to see if maybe something was having trouble going down or coming out. She ate the coconut oil pretty ferociously. I tried to feed her some crumble chick feed to see if that would help, but she barely ate it either.

She stands around and almost looks like she doesn't want to swallow. She will, I saw things go down her throat, but I don't know why she's not wanting to fully eat. She's drinking. I've noticed her closing her eyes a lot too. I tried to feel her throat and felt nothing abnormal as far as I'm aware. Her crop has been empty all day. I looked at her vent and it was clean and couldn't feel anything near her abdomen in particular. When I finally got her to poop, it looked like this:
1631583095021.png

The temperature once again was in the 90s today like it has been the past month. They have permanent shade and I have a fan I leave in one corner of their pen that they can lounge in front of if they want. I brought her inside tonight with one of the others(for company) and she pooped again- but this time it's ONLY white. There is no food matter or anything, just urate. I'm really concerned. I haven't seen bloody poop from her at all. I'm scared maybe she dug up something from the area we put their new pen at and maybe swallowed something, or possibly she got into some fertilizer (no pesticide/herbicide), but we did our best to remove ALL of it that we could, and covered the area up with boards and then covered the boards with fresh dirt to prevent any possible access.

I am going to call the avian vet tomorrow and see if I can get her in, but are there any suggestions anyone has? I'm worried. The whole reason I bred my turkeys this year was to get 1 female blue red bronze, and the other one died soon after hatching. She's the only female that survived and I'd be heartbroken to lose her.
1631583619339.png

Thank you. I desperately hope at some point things will even out with this group of babies and I can finally enjoy them without constant anxiety.

Morning update: Appointment scheduled for today at 2pm. I am fairly certain at this point there is a blockage of some sort in her throat. She is keeping her neck squished up and close to her body, and I think I can see an unusual bulge, but it isnt very noticeable. Tried feeling it but Im unsure what Im feeling.

Last edited:
Just got out! The vet said she seems in perfect health. Couldnt find anything in her throat. Checked a fresh stool she so lovingly pooped onto my shoulder. Said there were no parasites. He gave her a b12 shot and a sulfamed 40% and told me to bring her back on friday to see if she has improved at all. Hoping she does.

I'll try to get a weight on her when I bring her in for bed again tonight and see how much of a change it is from yesterday.

Update from this morning, she pooped in her pen some and when let outside, she took a small drink and ate a bit of watermelon. She still does not seem interested in food, and she's definitely not as interested in water as she should be from sleeping all night with no food/water. I'm still concerned and wishing I just knew why she didn't want to eat.

Here's her poop from last night.
1631713229230.png

Ok, another update, possibly closer to knowing what it is.

I managed to get 1cc of NutriDrench down her (she poured the 2nd cc out so i figured i'd try again in a bit), and put poultry cell in her water to get vitamins in her after being on the corid. I have her set up with some non medicated chick crumble at the moment to see if that seems more appealing to her.

She pooped again. However, this one was different. It was full of bloody liner-like fibers, and also these strange little pebble shaped poops.

1631716612034.png

1631716627974.png

I took a qtip to them, and unearthed some suspiciously round pebbles, including one that was orange in color. They resembled the fertilizer stuff we had used pretty strikingly. I'm starting to suspect she did ingest some fertilizer and now it's upsetting her stomach. Should I try and do an epsom salt flush on her? Maybe more coconut oil?

Edit:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-G...5&wl11=local&wl12=110074590&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds
It was this brand of fertilizer, and looked similar to the pictures. Little stones. Ours were reddish in color though, and we don't know what exact bag it was. We had tried to get as much as we could out but I fear we may have missed some.

Edit2: It seems like she might be flushing on her own? After this picture she has pooped about 3 more times, the most she has in 2 days, and they are clear liquid with small spots of stuff in them. I'm not sure if I need to flush her or not. She is taking more bites of food and drinks of water but still not eating like she probably should be.
1631718824299.png

1631718843983.png

Another update: More poops, more wetness with little fibers in them, most of them squishy. Most recent one had more stones in it. I think also some undigested feed? I'm starting to wonder if everything is passing straight through her instead of staying in her crop like it should.

1631724304399.png

The bottom 2 are her newest poop, and the one on the paper towel is the hard parts I picked out

Attachments

• 1631724145317.png
    1631724145317.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Harper appears to be on the mend? She is more energetic and has started holding some food in her crop. Yesterday she had food in her crop and expelled it overnight, today again she is starting to build up in her crop so that is promising. Her food and water intake is better. Still not perfect.
Last night's poops attached.

My other sweetgrass who had the original bloody poops is acting off though, im pretty sure. Its harder for me to tell because shes never been interested in interacting with me so I dont know her personality as well. I have injectible b12 here at home, wondering if I should try giving her that orally. I dont have sulfamed 40 though. Going to ask the vet tomorrow, but Id really like to try and ger her better too without spending another 170. This sweetgrass is one I plan on selling. Ill probably try and give her some nutridrench too.

Attachments

• 20210916_092202.jpg
    20210916_092202.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210916_092204.jpg
    20210916_092204.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom