Young turkey sudden lethargy

It's also possible that they have roundworms.
Would the albon do anything for that, or would it only be good on anti-bacterial/cocci? I have Valbazen, I could try giving her Valbazen and Corid again to see if it helps anything at all. She didn't drink before bed last night, and now this morning she's still not interested in drinking so I'm pretty worried.

Edit: She did load up on chick feed last night though, she filled her crop pretty decently. I just couldn't get her to drink. This morning she doesn't seem too interested in either yet.

The others all seem fine so far though, too. I check their crops daily to make sure they're eating, watch them drink, check their poops, and they all seem normal and healthy. Activity levels are high. It was just these 2.

Last edited:
Brought her in and set her up next to the window to get her to stay quiet mostly. I guess she likes being able to look out. I set her up with corid water (2 tsp per gallon) and more chick food (Mom took the flock raiser i bought last night to work with her so I have to wait on her to get home to use that instead), when mom gets home and can help me hold her I'm going to give her a corid drench and some valbazen I think. I'm just worried about what if it's a bacterial infection or something, I don't want to let it worsen by treating something else that's possibly not there >_< this is so frustrating... I just wish I could have a break with them... I just wish I knew specifically what made Harper better...

Edit; Literally just got a poop out of her. Looks surprisingly ok? Poked it apart with a stick and its mostly just broken up food fibers.
1631984026890.png
1631984062559.png

Edit2; Geeze louise, immediately got another poop after. Is this a cecal poop? Got 2 of these in a row. I saved one in a ziplock baggie. Stinks bad >_> almost hurled trying to look at it.
1631984303881.png

Last edited:
She is on day 3 of corid. Yesterday I gave her 2ccs of vitamin b12 orally and her 2nd corid drench. Still seems to be no improvement, but doesnt seem worse either. She eats a little bit. When she goes to bed there is some food I can feel in her crop. Ive seen her drink. She ate watermelon pretty well. But Im nervous over the lack of progress.

Should I try valbazen? Im at a loss at what to do. If its not worms or coccidia I dont know what else could be causing these symptoms.

Another update. Still no improvement. Still eating and drinking some. We have been bringing watermelon in bc she also loves that and its helping keep her hydrated.

However, today she had some dirt on her ear feathers (I assumed she got it sticky from watermelon then dust bathed), so I went to pick it off, and it actually seems to be dried ear gunk? I looked in her ear behind the feathers and she has what looks like yellowish discharge in her ear. Is this an ear infection? Im wondering if the SulfaMed 40% shot helped harper bc it was a bacterial infection. I saw that ear infections can be caused by bacterial infections. How should I treat her ear? Try to clean it out and get ahold of some sort of ear drops?

Yes. I had been weighing her but I lost track of my scale. Just found it again. 4.1lbs.

Cleaned the gunk off the outer ear for now. Going to try and setup another vet appointment. Thinking its a bacterial infection, and in Harper's case she got treated before her ear could get infected. I havent heard any sneezing or wheezing or seen any eye discharge to consider respiratory yet.

That's not good. If I did my math correctly, she's lost 18% of her body weight, which is significant. Do you know how to tube feed?

Back
Top Bottom