Young turkey sudden lethargy

That's not good. If I did my math correctly, she's lost 18% of her body weight, which is significant. Do you know how to tube feed?
Yeah I've tube fed a goose in the past. I'd have to see if I can find somewhere to get a thinner tube then the one we used for him. I have a vet appointment for Friday and I'm going to see if I can continue to keep her eating until then. I'll check her again in the morning and see if she's gained/lost/maintained. I'll also bring in a few of the healthy ones and check their weights compared to hers.

Unfortunately it looks like Mom must have thrown them out, the last time we tube fed was probably 3 or 4 yrs ago. I'll see which ones we have in stock at work tomorrow when I go in. I have the Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding bird formula since thats what I was told to use on the goose those years back, should I use that or make something out of their crumble?

Im just a kennel cleaner, but they let us take things home if we ask. Ill ask and see, hopefully they have them. @_@
Ask for a 60 ml catheter tipped syringe too.
1632359336362.png

When I am going to give less than 60cc's, I use a 35cc catheter tip syringe like this one.

Ask for a 60 ml catheter tipped syringe too.
View attachment 2843134

When I am going to give less than 60cc's, I use a 35cc catheter tip syringe like this one.
I managed to find this tube. I don't know what size it is, it doesn't say anywhere on it. Would this one work fine?
1632433700442.png

1632433713734.png

I have a 60 cc syringe. It turns out our Kaytee extact was expired and full of.... some kind of webbing(mold?), so I'm going to have to try and go tonight to get some. How much am I supposed to feed her? Weighed her again this morning and this afternoon and she still weighs 4.1lbs. Hasn't gained or lost. Should I tube water as well?

Okay, you should start by tubing just fluids, and I recommend Pedialyte. Can you get some of that?
Step 1:
Bring the bird inside and place in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal (watch for signs of over-heating).

Step 2:
Weigh the bird

Step 3:
Once warmed, correct hydration, and this should not be done until the bird is warmed up. Tube warmed (102 degrees) Pedialyte or Gatorade at 14 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat. If no poop is produced by 3 hours after first tubing, repeat once more.

Step 4:
Once the bird is pooping you can start tubing warmed Kaytee Exact baby bird food or a non-lay crumble (lay crumble has too much calcium). Start by tubing 14 ml per pound of body weight and increase a little at each feeding. Do not exceed 23 ml per pound of body weight. Sick birds are tube fed 2-4 times a day.

"Tube feeding, also known as gavage feeding, is an essential part of avian supportive care. Sick birds are often presented with a history of anorexia, and glycogen stores may be depleted within hours in the granivore (including psitacine, passerine and galliform species) secondary to a relatively high metabolic rate. Another important indication for gavage feeding is a documented drop in body weight of 5% to 10%."
Source: https://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

Back
Top Bottom