young turkey with large welts on head?

Quote:
That's the way we have it done and our poults are immune from one week later. In the OP's case the problem has already arrived. When our first poults came with infected spots around their faces they were, as I said, given antibiotics and then, after the lesions cleared, the preventatives.

Shat0463, I think you need to act quickly is the poult is to survive.

Well, she passed away this morning. I had given her antibiotics already, and I was putting iodine on her welts. I did pull some nasty cheesy crud out of her eyelids last night too. I think I just got to her too late since I was told it was just mosquito bites, and nothing to really worry about.

My point about the new birds I brought in was that one of them got sick very shortly after we got them, and it died soon after getting sick. It had the snotty nose, and it basically suffocated. It most likely had wet pox, which then spread to the whole rest of my flock.

Are wet pox and dry pox the same virus? Will the same virus show up as wet pox in some and dry pox in others? So the vaccine protects against both? I do have some young chicks I just hatched (darned hens hid and sat on a bunch of eggs). Right now they are completely separate from the rest of the flock, but I don't want them to get sick and die too.

well darn, I hate that, and yes, now I see what you mean, if the new ones were like that, theres a good chance that's where the squiters got it from and then spread it to the others via bites
So sorry

Sorry for your loss. You might consider giving First State Vet Supply a call, they've been helpful in the past: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

More
on the Fowlpox: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/204801.htm

I'd
not assume that all went down from Pox. Without necroscopies, or clear evidence of diptheric involvement (patches in throats, etc.), it is hard to kow.

You might consider stripping out coops, etc. where the sick birds were housed and spray down with Oxine (a less noxious form of chlorine).

Take care and good luck!

Last edited:
The ones that died all had the same symptoms: hugely snotty nose, swollen face, antibiotics didn't seem to help more than very briefly, and they eventually stopped eating and died. After the first few sick ones, we quarantined all of the sick birds well away from the coop. The remaining chickens pretty much all have small fowl pox lesions on the comb, but no snotty noses. They are all adults though.

I am assuming they all died of the same thing because the symptoms were all identical. With the younger birds the progression was very quick, but the couple older birds would rally and then get sick again a couple times before finally passing.

sounds like mycoplasma gallepsum, chronic respritory disease, mixed with the pox. Swollen eyes, congestion, basic cold like symptoms are signs of it.
It is very contagious between birds, and often brought in unkown as once a bird gets it, they can get better, but will always be a carrier, also they can and do pass it on threw mother to egg. The NPIP has test for all 3 types of mycroplasma infections

Back
Top Bottom