Youngest pullet to lay an egg?

This is my first time having chickens.
I have 10 ISA browns and 6 EE pullets and one EE cockerel.
One of the browns laid the first egg at 15 weeks +1 day (and it was even in the nesting box!) That was 2 weeks ago. Since then we’ve gotten 2 eggs a day except one day we got 3. I’m anxiously awaiting the first EE egg.
My favourite EE, Peggy, has been squatting for nearly a week and yesterday she was checking out the nesting boxes so hoping that it’s soon!

In my experience it’s been the fatter and puffier the breed = the longer the wait! That’s my super unscientific response 🤣 most of mine are fat little cold hardy heritage breeds and they’ve all taken around 22 weeks. I’ve heard skinnier girls or production breeds like RIR and leghorns can lay around 16

In my experience it’s been the fatter and puffier the breed = the longer the wait! That’s my super unscientific response 🤣 most of mine are fat little cold hardy heritage breeds and they’ve all taken around 22 weeks. I’ve heard skinnier girls or production breeds like RIR and leghorns can lay around 16
I would agree actually. In most cases. My tubby B. Orpingtons are the longest layers.
I want more Light Sussex. My experience with that breed has been terrific.
One of my LS hens laid her first egg about 16 weeks, went broody and hatched her first chicks at 5-6 months, and she's been laying solidly ever since. She's almost five years old now. She's also super friendly and has tons of personality. Not aggressive in the least, not to the other hens or me.
I want her to stop laying eggs and take a break. Rofl.
Definitely want some more.

Back
Top Bottom