Your Advice Needed, Please!!

Eagleman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
New Mexico
I went to the feed store today to get some pine shavings for the coop but all they had was aspen. I bought it but now can see it is shaved much finer than the pine and it not quite sawdust but pretty close. Do you think it is okay for litter for the coop (and I usually put some around in the run as well)? Or will it pose a respitory threat? I can mix it with the bit of pine shavings I have left or skip it altogether and try to find some pine somewhere else in town.
I have four pullets and a young rooster who sleep in a smallish but ventilated coop if that matters.
What do you think? THANKS!!

Last edited:
I don't think Aspen will hurt...
hu.gif

Just not cedar. And I wouldn't put any in the run, unless it's covered, because it stinks something fierce when it gets wet.

Personally, I would hesitate to use it (and probably wouldn't) if it's that fine as I would be concerned about breathing issues. But, I have no personal experience so if someone else does... go with what they say.

I have aspen in my coop right now, though mine is much more coarse than the pine shavings I normally get. I only got it because I was changing the litter in the coop on a Sunday and didn't realize I was out of pine until I had already taken all the old litter out. Had to go to the pet store since the feed store I use is closed on Sundays, and all they had was aspen. I don't like it nearly as much.

Okay, looks like three yesses and a no so far.
I think I will put it in with a layer of pine on top to keep any dust down.
Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom