Your duck pools - Tell me about them!

You don't happen to have a schematic of your filtration systems?
Is pump downflow of all filtration media?
Do you have bottom drains in ponds?
Unfortunately I tossed the drawings a few months back. Regardless I deviated a bit from the design when I started the build.

The external pumps inlet is downflow of both the coarse/fine mechanical filter pads as well as the settling chamber.
Both the Koi pond and the Duck pond are above ground with a portion below ground as well.

The Koi pond has a 3” bottom drain (which goes directly to filter pads) and the streams inlet acts as the Koi ponds surface skimmer. The streams outlet (1” bottom drain) flows to the Duck pond.

The Duck Pond has a 1.5” bottom drain as well as a 1.5” surface skimmer. Bottom drain flows to the settling chamber and the surface skimmer flows to the filter pads.

Duck pen has a 1.25” bottom drain that flows to the settling chamber.

The sump is 2.5-3’ below grade and is where all the drain pipes, pump inlet and filters are located.

Heres the bottom drain pipe being test fitted. Because the ponds are above ground the height of the pipes become important.
F79FC38D-2D7A-4C1A-85D9-D90E92A3CFC1.jpeg

I’m sure I’m not describing it well. If you got anymore questions let me know.

I have 2 a 150 gal stock tank inside the coop and a 1200 gal outdoor pond that we dug in and lined with pond liner. Both have filters. each pond has a bio-steps Matala filter with UV clarifier and an additional biological filter, one in a barrel and one in a stock tank with bog plants.

the Matala Bio-steps is the black box. It is very easy to clean and the media lasts for years. I also use Microb lift bacteria to break down the duck waste. Both ponds are crystal clear. The water looks dark here just because of the algae on the sides of the stock tank.
Do you drain/ change out the water at all, or do the filters and such completely take care of it? My pond has started to get stinky, I'm definitely going to need to figure out a filter system.
I see you're in MT- does the 150gal stock tank in the coop freeze in the winters?

Do you drain/ change out the water at all, or do the filters and such completely take care of it? My pond has started to get stinky, I'm definitely going to need to figure out a filter system.
I see you're in MT- does the 150gal stock tank in the coop freeze in the winters?
I drain water from the large outdoor pond straight to my melon beds in the garden a couple times a week, but it’s not a lot. The bacteria takes care of most of it. I will also occasionally turn off the pump to the black matala filter and drain it and spray down the media pads. It takes maybe 5-10 mins and that is really where the poop accumulates. It has really reduced the maintenance.

last winter we took the outdoor pond out of service pretty early due to an early freeze, but the indoor pond was in service the entire winter. I just added a stock tank heater.

Back
Top Bottom