Your Location is important and fun!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SmokinChick, Dec 26, 2011.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I have an issue with people not putting thier state, county, town or country in the profile!
    Its fun to see where people are living. I read a post and try to figure out what they are dealing with, but I don't know the geograpy or climate. Even empathizing with people is easier when you know where they are from.
    I know people are security minded, but. I don't think adresses are a good idea, but a town or county and state. I can't envision a security issue with that info? Maybe I'm am wrong, been there before.
    Just puttiong it out there, Thanks

2. happytraylz

happytraylz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I agree. [​IMG] Especially when people are selling eggs and birds. Part of my decision is on how far the shipping would be, because its hard on eggs. It also does help when you're trying to answer questions. I don't have my addy, just the area I'm in.

3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I don't advertise my city/town for the simple reason that my chickens are outlaws here.
    I think the fear of being caught is what prevents many people from stating their city/town.

I did a project last semester to map where in Michigan chickens were legal, restricted or outlawed. Out of over 600 people on the thread, only 32 responded to my query even if they were legal. The project will continue in the upcoming semester and I hope I get better responses.

I'm sure there must be some other chicken lovers living near to me but I've never met any that are close enough to have coffee with. I have met quite a few but they live 30 miles or more away, so lunch or coffee isn't convienient.

4. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    Im in a very small town but I still put my location down. Luckily I'm allowed to have my birds or I might not be so open about it. I love being able to see where people are from on here. Its part of the fun having friends all over the world to share your love of chickens with.

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I don't advertise where I live...though even if I did I doubt anyone could find it. Mostly because there is almost endless resources on the internet for a stalker and it's just not a great idea, IMO.

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I post where I live, but most don't realize that it is actually a town [​IMG]

it gets irritating.

7. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    I agree with SmokinChick, even just your state or province is enough to give people a general idea of what the temps and conditions are like for your birds when you post a question relating to temperature or something.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm conscious of internet security, too. Just a state (or country) is so much more informative than nothing, or things like "at my computer." Location can be very informative and helpful without revealing much at all.

9. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear ya, Smokin!!!!!!
    Maybe just a little info when the OP has a problem &
    is askin about some advise would be helpful.

I also wish more would have posts on their "My Page"
    after all, most have started one but there is nothin there!!!

BTW, still really cold & white as snow all around here in SE Colo......
    Wish I was in the Ozarks.

10. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Funny, I was just breaking the ice with the location/ The whole "My Page" thing, please. It is a wonderful thing, use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by