You'r Murray Mcmurray hatching egg experience?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I ordered 10 top hat hatching eggs from Murray Mcmurray,the staff was very considerate, and sent me 12.Of the 9 that survived the trip 5 have detached air cells, and 2 have pulled back membranes.:/So far I have 100% fertality,but I am wondering if they can still hatch with the messed up air cells.The detached air cells however AREN'T the hatcheries fault,but the shippers own ignorance. I would only recomend a hatchery to you only if you can pick them up yourself, or aren't very far away.
smile.png

P.S has anyone ever had membrane problems before, if so please tell me how it went!
smile.png

Hi Bock,
I read your thread yesterday on the condition of your eggs.
I haven't shipped from Murray McMurray but I have gotten eggs from Meyers in Ohio,
My Eggs came unbroken and were packed beautifully. 3 out of 12 had the cells misshapened but none were ruptured.
All were fertile, I had 3 quitters early on and now have 9 on day 19. The quitters were not the ones with the weird air cells. The weird air cell eggs developed great.
I have the eggs in a carton now and we will see how they do.
You're correct there is way less risk picking eggs up than shipping them but if some times you just can't find what you want locally.
Carolyn

I ordered some eggs from them last summer, make sure that you are home the entire day they are going to be delivered. Becuase you have to be home to sign for them. We had to leave for about 2 minutes to go down the road, missed the fed ex and had to drive 1 1/2 to the fed ex place to pick them up on saturday morning so that they didnt have to sit there all weekend. They werent packed all that well and there were a few broke. So after that expierance I just decided I'm better off buying from eggbid or ebay. The eggs I bought from a lady off ebay came all the way from texas were wonderfully packed, and none were broke. But the ones from mcmurray in my state couldnt make it all in one piece.
Good Luck with your eggs though!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi, I'm fairly new to hatching but was interested in this post because I've been thinking about getting some eggs from McMurray. Your problem has me wondering something..........Why wouldn't they replace broken eggs if you called them and told them some of them arrived that way? Seems to me it's their responsibility to pack them well enough to get them to you in good shape. I noticed someone here said a lady sent her some from another state that were packed well and arrived in good shape so why wouldn't the pros pack them better than that or at least be willing to replace broken ones? Maybe I should rethink buying from them unless somebody tells me they would replace any broken ones??? Especially at the prices they charge. And, I think I would complain to Fed Ex too as well as encourage McMurray to complain to them too if they're being handled that roughly when I'm sure they are marked fragile and that there are eggs inside aren't they?
Like I said I am very new to this but that's just how I see it.

GrannyPat

Come to think of it the eggs were not very well packed,but I am not going to complain,I already have to many chickens!!!Plus I am pretty sure they won't refund me, but I will give them a call to ask about a refund anyway.Another thing is, they did send 2 extra eggs,and they traveled all the way from the hatchery to California.

P.s you may want to consider another hatchery if Murray is to far away, or if you have the time and money pick them up yourself!!Oh yah,I heard Meyer Hatchery is really good.Good luck!!!
smile.png

I called Murray, and they gave me a refund for 6 eggs!!!If the ones with the bad air cells hatch I will make a donation to pay for the unexpected hatches.
big_smile.png

P.s the refund is not a normal procedure,but if you are calm and resonable they seem to be very willing!!!THANK YOU MURRAY!!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom