Your opinions?

SwissMiss24

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Hey guys!
I'm asking these questions because I like to hear both sides opinions which helps me learn more. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I couldn't find the rules, so I apologize in advance.
I'm curious about a few things about breeding dogs.
What do you think about:
1. Breeding a dog to fill out her shape so she is more show ring fit?
2. Breeding her just so she has the experience?
3. Because you want to carry your dogs personality on so you can have a dog close to your dog that has died?
4. Because you want to see what kind of dogs will come out of the mix of different breeds?
I really just want to hear your opinions so you can educate me and maybe others on here.
Thank you!! ( P.s. I don't care if you are a dog expert or not I'd love to hear every bodies opinions)

Edited to say: I don't agree with any of these reasons to breed by the way. I've just heard and seen people do these things.

Last edited:
1. I have never heard of that before...?
2. I think it is dumb.. it is more for the persons experience than the dogs. A dog is a dog and it doesn't *need* to be bred and doesn't think to itself "I sure would like to be a mother!".
3. I don't really know. I think you would have a better shot of getting a full sibling to the dog you have.. there is no guarantee either way that it will be anything like the dog you are wanting another of.
4. Personally, I think it is extremely irresponsible to purposely breed mutts. No matter what the reason, but "just to see what mix you get" is especially stupid.

1. Breeding a dog to fill out her shape so she is more show ring fit? What? That makes no sense. Breeding a ***** won't necessarily bulk her up, the right kind of food and exercise does that. Don't try to avoid hard work by using an "easy" workaround.

2. Breeding her just so she has the experience? Again, lol wut? The dog doesn't care, and risking her life because you're viewing her with a human's perspective does nobody any favors.

3. Because you want to carry your dogs personality on so you can have a dog close to your dog that has died? Horrible reason to breed anything, including people. Each dog will have it's own personality, except in a general sense with specific breeds. In general, labs are affable dogs that like to fetch...So buy another lab instead of breeding another one in an overloaded population.

4. Because you want to see what kind of dogs will come out of the mix of different breeds? Horribly irresponsible. Whatever crazy combination you come up with, someone's already done it. You can probably even find pictures of it on google. No need to make a frankendoggy because of idle curiosity. Better yet, go to your local pound and take some of the dogs there on walks, you'll be sure to run into a shitzu/chiwii/terrier cross that some backyard breeder thought was a good idea at the time.

Last edited:
1.) She should be showing and/or winning titles before breeding. (As should the male--I hate seeing ads "I'd like to see what he produces" when he hasn't done a thing!)

2.) Agree with Sqauwkbox, poor excuse for people to have puppies.

3.) The entire litter may be nothing like "your" dog; genetics are funny.

4.) Take a stroll through an SPCA or shelter, no imagining needed.

I would also like to mention that breeding has serious risks, and if perchance the female needs emergency C-section, you're looking at upwards of $1,000.00 vet bill.

Hey guys!
I'm asking these questions because I like to hear both sides opinions which helps me learn more. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I couldn't find the rules, so I apologize in advance.
What do you think about:
3. Because you want to carry your dogs personality on so you can have a dog close to your dog that has died?
4. Because you want to see what kind of dogs will come out of the mix of different breeds?
I really just want to hear your opinions so you can educate me and maybe others on here.
Thank you!!
big_smile.png
( P.s. I don't care if you are a dog expert or not I'd love to hear every bodies opinions)
1) Thats not the way to do it. Better food, exercise.
2)That is just not a reason to breed at all. Dogs don't care about the "experience".
3)Still, not a good moral reason to breed a whole litter.
4)There are enough mixed breeds in shelters as it is for that reason. It's probably the most irresponsible reason I can think of.

The point of breeding, (by responsible breeders) is to better a breed. To improve the best examples possible which includes health testing for genetic issues, and earning titles before even considering a breeding.

Everyone has pretty much hit the nail.

If you're thinking about breeding, think about this:

*Take a walk through your local shelters and look how many dogs are there without homes and someone to love. That could be one of those pups if you breed.

*Even if you get great people to adopt your dogs, who says they are going to keep it for a lifetime like they should? Look on Craigslist at dog ads. You'd be surprised how many people give up their animals because, they're having a baby, moving, allergies, the dog isn't potty trained, another animal or person in the household doesn't like them etc.

If your dog has been tested, showed, won mulitple awards, not just one or a few, is registered, has a great bloodline, and a personality to match, then maybe, you can breed your dog to a quality dog just like yours.

I am not breeding or planning to ever breed any of my animals, these are just things I've seen and heard people say. I Do not agree with ANY of the reasons so don't worry about me.
smile.png

Hey guys!
What do you think about:
Have not heard of that one personally, and question what sort of filling out would really happen.

I don't agree with humans doing this (ie. "I'm having a baby because I've been told my life will be empty without one"), and definitely don't agree with it in dogs with some possible exceptions. I have heard of dogs exhibiting phantom pregnancies and maternal behaviors that have benefited greatly from having something to raise, including fostering other animals. Haven't witnessed it myself or seen anything solid data wise on such occurances though. I'm not for making breeding for such a reason illegal in humans or animals though.

There is no garauntee the personality would carry over, and it seems a bit unhealthy to me in that you are trying to carry something past death rather than let go and recognize each individual. Same opinion applies to people who do this (ie. "I'm having a baby because I want some of me/my husband to live on"). Again though, certainly don't support making these things illegal.

Seems like a poor reason to me on its own if really just an "I wonder..." situation, and I would seriously question the care of the animals involved. That said, some mixes do serve very solid functions (ie. some common working mixes, lurchers, etc) both historically and in modern times. My favorite breed, must have started out with at least a bit of wondering...I mean heck, dingo was bred in, and I don't think there was a solid list of "this is what you will get when breeding in dingos". X) If someone is putting some thought behind the mixes, care of the dogs, and where the pups are going, fine. Again, I would have no interest in making said thing illegal even though I might strongly disagree with the existance of a yorkishortipoo. I have not yet warmed up to chihuahuas, and they are purebreeds. Far be it from me to keep someone else from delighting in them or a goldendoodle though.

I really just want to hear your opinions so you can educate me and maybe others on here. Thank you!! ( P.s. I don't care if you are a dog expert or not I'd love to hear every bodies opinions)
Edited to say: I don't agree with any of these reasons to breed by the way. I've just heard and seen people do these things.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom