Your roos – good or bad? *Updated Chart on Page 15*

hate both of my roos.... One has to duck hens that he is in love with... won't give the hens the time of day... the other roo floggs people only when you are not watching him... I have to smack him at least 3 times a week if not more... hubby likes him and won't let me get rid of him(great with his ladies though)

Quote:
Perhaps you can consider giving really nice ones that you can't keep to a great home. It can take a goodly amount of work*** to find great homes but if they are nice roos, it would be nice if they had a chance...
JJ

***to ensure they don't end up in a bad situation, I've done site visits, gotten to know the people, learned what the feeding/medical situation will be etc.

King George is my BO roo. He is a little shy of people, but not mean at all. He just does not want to be held or petted. He will follow me sometimes. He is not even a problem with my 2 year old grandson, who really wants to pet him (he runs away). He is very good with the girls and always calls them when he finds something tasty or I bring out treats. He has given up trying to keep them all corraled now, since I have close to 50 hens.
smile.png

Just wanted to add, any mean roos make wonderful chicken and noodles.
lol.png

Last edited:
We love our rooster, he is an Australorp about one year old, we didn't know we had a roo until about 3 weeks ago, when one of our "hens" started crowing and mounting the other hens. then we noticed his spurs and longer tail feathers.

Last edited:
I love all my roo's.
I live in the city lol and am not supposed to have any Poultry
lol.png

Cochin Roo
21433_dsci0624.jpg

Serama roo
21433_dsci0611.jpg

Splash Jersey Giant Roo
21433_dsci0600.jpg

Black Dutch Roo
21433_dsci0548.jpg

My Aseel Roo
21433_dsci0631.jpg

Spangled OEG
21433_dsci0472.jpg

My Old Silkie Roo
21433_dsci0359.jpg

My Sebright roo
21433_dsci0321.jpg

I have quite a few roos running around here and LOVE them all except the new serama roo, he's a real uhhh jerk

We have bernie-serama, real sweet boy and good to his girls and he giggles
big_smile.png

Whitey-serama aka fleighty whitey super sweet to the girls and baby chicks but hates to be handled, his pose and type are what keep him here along with the other things

Dudley-cochin My cute super fluffy ball of love- Great with the girls, loves to be petted and handled and always looks out for airborn predators. He is truely the best boy ever

Bleu- mixed bantam boy who is the son of the evil white cochin roo I recently rehomed. He too is sooo good with the girls and super friendly unlike his father. He is also very quiet which is great seeing as the others can get under your skin in minutes with their constant crowing

elvis-light brahma cockerel- still a bit fleighty but for 8 weeks old he is coming along nicely

Nelson- glw bantam reminds me of the standard version I used to have before we decided to go with bantams. He has alot of growing up to do and is pretty mean and probably won't be staying because of that, he is also about 8 weeks old

Patches- serama the new addition who loves to hiss and bite. I am working on taming him wayyyy down and so far he is making progress

4 serama cockerels- few are sold but waiting pick up and we are keeping one of them

2 buff brahma/brown-red cochin mixed cockerels who are sooo darn cute but can't stay
sad.png

I love my roos it's too bad I can't have a huge flock of them, I am not sure the neighbors are happy about the ones we have now lol

My roosters have such great personalities. I have 5 that are permanent members of the flock and another 6 where the jury is still out on them. They'll probaby go into the freezer just because they lack personality and a certain intelligence that I see in the others but not because of meanness. None of my roosters are mean. Of course, If I do come across a mean rooster or hen, freezer camp is the only place for them in my opinion.

Roaster is the name of my alpha roo, he's a Delaware/RIR cross and is so sweet. I wasn't sure how I would like a rooster so I named him roaster just in case.

Every once in a while he will give me his little side-stepping corale move. I just have to take one step toward him and he changes his mind about trying to assert dominance over me. He has never gone after my children ages 2 and 4 or any of the neighbors children.

Although, I can't say the same of one of my pullets (who is looking like a pretty good roaster at 12 weeks old).

Anyway, I couldn't imagine a flock without a rooster.

Last edited:
I have 5 roosters total
4 of which are silkies. One is Polish

They are great! I love mine.
I have only ever had a few roosters to be called mean.
All of mine are sweet they loved to be picked up by anyone.
Now my Polish rooster is quite different. He is even more spolied rotten. Fallows me around the house and doesnt want me to put him down. But when a Stranger comes in the yard he wants to try and flog them
lol.png
He hasnt hurt anybody yet. Although I won't let him try. Its like he can sense the hooligans and fear (which he is really good about)
tongue.png
he has a sixth sence hahaha.. If somebody is nice he walks right by
wink.png

Silkie roosters just kind of stand and stare lol
Not very good watch chickens! LOL

I must say I just love my bantam cochin roo. He is the sweetest little guy on the place. I also had a bantam auracana roo that was just the best with his ladies to. I got him at an aution and did not have a clue how old he was but did not have a clue why anyone would want to get rid of him. The worst roo I ever had was my RIR. Great boy till he hit about 3years old. Then the devil took over his body. lol

Back
Top Bottom