Yow! Roosters bite.

pixiechic

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
North GA
Dwight Schrute is one of our 23-week-old Buff Orp cockerels. He's been making trouble for the girls in the coop, so in the evening I've been scooping him up (along with a RIR roo) and putting him in our small isolation pen and coop. Normally I just pick him up, stick him under my arm, and walk over there with him, talking to him along the way. The two boys get along fine in there overnight, there haven't been any fights or squabbles.

Tonight when I went to pick Dwight up, the little bugger turned around and BIT ME hard. His beak didn't break the skin, but left a good, solid red scrape on my hand. I was so ticked off that I shoved him out of the coop with my foot, and had DH haul him off to isolation along with Big Red.

I tend not to hold grudges, but I have a low tolerance for rooster aggression. It's the first time this has happened, but if there's a second time, I'm gonna be really tempted to make dinner out of him. :mad:

OW! You are right... Roosters do bite and they do hurt. If that ever happens again the best thing you could do is scoop that little bugger up, tuck him under your arm, so he will get the message that you are the alpha roo and the one who wears the pants in your flock, so to speak. If he struggles, hang on and don't let him down until he is submissive. Once he's reached the submissive state, that's when you know he's gotten the message. I completely understand your low tolerance for rooster aggression. One thing I won't tolerate here is an animal that bites the hand that feeds it. Good luck!

I have an 8 week old roo that I named Crock Pot because that is where he is going when he gets bigger...

The funny thing is in the beginning he was mean, now he is loving... crazy roo...

I will agree to make sure to let him know who the head roo is in the flock... I did the same thing with showing him who is boss, but the name still sticks because he did bring blood!

Good Luck!

Oooo.
sad.png
Sounds painful. I wouldnt have been pleased either!

Quote:
It DID hurt, I was really surprised about that. Teeth apparently aren't required for a good hard bite.

Oh I so didn't want to hear it was a buff orp...I have a rooster phobia after being attacked numerous times by my little Dutch banty roo. OK - he was little but he was mighty!!! He met the whiffleball bat many times and now he has a new home. I'm hoping my buff orp roo will continue to be nice. I hope I hope.

I've heard that a squirt bottle with water will help too.

Read my page on reforming roos. I had a biter too. I bruise easily so I had V-shaped bruises all the way up my forearm and my SO was threatening a bar-b-q.
Zeus, my rowdy roo, has been reformed and he's a sweetheart now.

Back
Top Bottom