Zane, Chapter 7/Update

You're doing everything possible and then some... the best of all that you love him and he knows it. Listen to your heart and Zane will let you know what he needs. I wish I could hug you (and Zane) with real arms.:aww

hugs.gif
:aww

Oh Cyn. I just want to say...Zane is lucky to have you and your DH as mom and dad. He knows he is loved, and I am sure he see the 2 of you as his flock. You spend so much time with him...helping, loveing..and healing. I would have to agree with others....if he is still showing the will to live..let him. He will let you know when it gets to be " too much"
hugs.gif
to you and your DH...and to Zane.

Cyn I kinda know what you are going through as I have been taking care of a black polish rooster with a serve case of crookneck. He lives in the hospital pen. We were lucky in one way as he was very young and we put a black polish hen the same age in with him so he is not alone. It is difficult to get all the treatments in sometimes, I know and I feel quilty when that happens. But I have been following your saga for months now. I know you will make the best descision for you,Zane and your DH. Its funny just how much you can get attached to these birds,especially when they require extra care. Logi is like a pet parrot. When I open his cage door he purrs just like a cat. He trusts me to help him with his head when he can not correct it. That trust is hard won. I know. God bless and take care of our guy Zane Micki

crtrlpvr, you made some excellent points. Maybe Zane has just accepted his life, maybe he's used to this, especially since it's been more than half his lifespan so far. He's not even a year old yet and this has been going on seven long months already. As long as infection doesnt set up housekeeping in his body, he could possibly go on like he is for a long time, with us making sure he has as much company as we can. Micki, Mahonri, Deb and others who have commented and who always pop in to see how Zane is doing, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Cynthia, we're still praying for you and your DH and for Zane. I think Zane will let you know when he's tired and wants to go Home. In the meantime, chins & beaks up.

You should see this boy. He knows how to communicate pretty well. I open the dog kennel, hold out my arms and say, "Zane, c'mon, let's go see the girls. Do you want to go out?". If he wants to come outside, he stands on his good leg and hops to the front of the cage. If he isn't ready to go out, he backs up and lowers his head or crams it into the space between the wire bars. Sometimes, if he said no originally, later on, if we pass by the big double doors to the place his crate is located, he makes a loud noise and when you go in, he hops up to the front so we can lift him out. You definitely know what Zane wants in that respect. My DH gives him some scratch in his bowl every morning when the others get theirs. In fact, he's usually waiting by his bowl for it, LOL.
I just want to make sure that our decision is for Zane, not because we are inconvenienced and have convinced ourselves it's for his benefit.

Speckled, I truly feel that when it's time you will know without a shadow of doubt.

I agree with everyone else: that boy looks healthy and content when you see his face. He interacts, and has a routine that he can control depending on how he feels. I think you guys are great! You take awesome care of him. Relax, but keep us posted on how he's doing. You know we're curious, as well as worrying about how all 3 of you are doing.

Cyn,
I didn't want to get into the whole Zane thing Tuesday, cause I get too emotional on stuff like this. But you know Zane the best and you will know.
I had to make the decision with a dog once, she was my best friend (before Hubby) and I totally knew when it was time, same thing last year with my old mare.

From what I could see he still has a good quality of life, and he looked happy. JMO

Back
Top Bottom