Zephyr, my lone Serama chick :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Zephyr is now a week old and has adapted very well (too well probably lol) to being an only chick. He/she is spoiled rotten and has made friends with imaginary chicks in the mirror and all my cats who enjoy watching chick TV while lying next to the warm brooder box. Thankfully, for my sanity [​IMG], I have 11 more eggs in lock down right now so hopefully by the weekend little Zephyr will have some real chick friends because I'm pretty sure at this point he has no clue that his is a chicken lol.

Zephyr, 2 days old with the ostrich friend that had to be culled (got wrapped around his foot):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zephyr, a week old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    AWWW!! He is adorable!

I had a lonely chick that did fine... But she was hatched by her mother and stayed with her mother! LOL....

3. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

How sweet!!! congrats!! love seening my grandchildren LOL [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh I can't stand the thought of Zephyr being lonely for even one more day! [​IMG]

Better send him/her to me. [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So cute and spoiled rotten. I had a lone chick. His name was lampshade. Zephyr is much more interesting.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I remember lampshade [​IMG]

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I to had a lone serama chick that my friend hatched. Sadly he didn't care about a tuff of feathers and only wanted a hand to cuddle with [​IMG] lucky my broody that didn't have any of the shipped eggs adopted him.

Looks just like yours but just missing the spot!
    [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

So [​IMG] cuddled, napping against your hand. [​IMG]

I raised a lone chick for a bit, his name is Marilyn - he is now 16 months old and still my "baby".

They sure steal your heart!

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awww, what a cutie-pie! [​IMG] I'm glad he'll have friends soon. I raised a completely lone chick once in the middle of winter, and once she was old enough to go outside, it took her a good six months or year to work out the chicken social system and become comfortable with the life of being a chicken. She's fine now, but I certainly would rather not do that again.

Great name, by the way--I have a parrotlet named Zephyr! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by