ziggy and six baby chick

ziggy31371

Hatching
May 17, 2015
Hi everyone. Looking forward to learning all about raising my new chicks in my back yard. My chicks are three weeks old and I'm hoping to get them outside soon. We have a coop with a ramp that leads to a roosting area. And two nest boxes. WE bought it at tractor supply co. Also have a fenced in area or run as they call it that is about 20feet by 16 feet . Not covered. How long should I wait to bring them outside for good? I bring then out daily for a few hours now add long as the weather permits.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You'll want to keep your chicks inside overnight until they are feathered, probably around 5 weeks or so. (Some people put them out earlier.) Is it still cold where you live? If nighttime temps are below 55 degrees, you'll want to add a heat lamp for them.

It's nice to have you join us!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre is a great place to start for all the learning on raising your chicks. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
NorthFLChick has given you some great advice on your chicks. Generally once they are fully feathered and the weather is not too cold I move mine out to a coop and run at 6 weeks of age. I do gradually wean them off heat before this point so it's not too much of a shock for them.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

re: where to put heat lamp in coop?. That's good question, I would imagine you could hang if over one area - the chicks will be smart enough to go under it if they need too. Just make sure to have at least two means of hanging it securely so it won't fall on them or cause a fire. Also a bulb guard helps to keep chicks away from the hot bulb.

Back
Top Bottom