zip before pip?

Tiegrsi

Songster
Jul 19, 2016
Burgaw, NC
My first time incubating. I was starting to get concerned because I just passed the 22 day Mark (couple hours), but then I heard CHIRP! Chirp chirp!
I got so excited so I peeked through the "windows" on the top of the incubator. The egg is bumping around a bit and I hear noise but no pip (external). But there is an X shaped crack on the top of the egg!
I was worried the baby was pipping in the wrong spot so I quickly candled - nope! The internal pip is in the air sack, I see it's beak wobbling around.
Can they start to zip before the external pip? Is this the sign of a soft shell? Should I be worried? Everything else seems well.

Last edited:
The x-shaped crack on the egg should be the external pip, unless it's in the wrong side of the egg, away from where the chick pipped into the air cell? They can't start sipping before they pipped externally, the external pip starts the process.

Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

The x-shaped crack on the egg should be the external pip, unless it's in the wrong side of the egg, away from where the chick pipped into the air cell? They can't start sipping before they pipped externally, the external pip starts the process. 

Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted! 

The chick has been making progress all night, the X now has a medium-ish piece of shell that is nearly detached. I think perhaps the shell cracked oddly when it pipped and that's why I thought the X was not the pip. I checked again and now I can see that the piece that is detached IS partially in the air cell area.
Thanks so much. :) Everything appears to be going well. Another egg has pipped since I posted the first time (there are 4 in the incubator), and it has the "bump" that most people describe as the first pip.
I'm super excited because today is my birthday, so I'm hoping all these babies will be hatched out by midnight so we can share a birthday lol.

Last edited:
That sounds good! Pips sometimes show up as a bump, sometimes the shell flies and sometimes it's just a little crack. As long as it's there, it's all good.

Are you serious? Today's my birthday too lol Fingers crossed for a good birthday hatch for you!

Last edited:
That sounds good! Pips sometimes show up as a bump, sometimes the shell flies and sometimes it's just a little crack. As long as it's there, it's all good.

Are you serious? Today's my birthday too lol Fingers crossed for a good birthday hatch for you!

Happy birthday! That's so awesome. :D Three oft he four in the 'bator have now pipped. So excited! I keep peering through the window and seeing them pushing on the shells. Its too cool.

Back at you
hugs.gif
It sounds like you are having a wonderful day over there with the new chicks! Please update with pics when they are ready?

Meet Honey! The 2 others haven't started zipping yet but they've made progress. Still no pip on the third but hopefully soon.
I had to take the thermometer/humidity reader out because she is bumbling around so much I was scared she'd knock it over on herself. The temp has been static for days so I think it'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom