Zombie chicken. Need help please

PsychicChicken

Hatching
8 Years
May 15, 2011
For the last two days I have had one hen that seems to be acting like zombie. Just is not her usual plucky self. She just stands in the same place or moves very little. She hardly pecks or scratches. I noticed her usually clean behind is dirty and she seems a little, well puffy. I'm wondering if she could have eggs stuck in her. A few days ago I noticed one egg that seemed to have a softer shell than usual but unfortunately I have two brown layers and don't know which hen laid it. I also noticed last night that she wasn't on her perch. Just standing on the floor of her little hen house.

Any suggestions. Poor girl just doesn't look right. What can I do for her. She seems a little cool too, but then again it's cool outside right now.

Help! I already had one injured bunny today I don't think my heart can handle a hurt chicken. I love those hens!

You could give her a warm bath if you suspect that she's egg-bound. Also, some yogurt or anything to boost her calcium level.

Update. Took our sweet girl to an avian vet today. X-rays revealed that she had ingested some nails. Yes, I said nails. Apparently she got into our firepit where whe recently burned some scrap wood and must have scratched around and ate the nails. I never would have imagined they'd do that. She didn't make it.

We will miss her.

Thanks for the input.

That's crazy...I'm really sorry you lost her. I have heard of chickens eating some strange things though.
hugs.gif

The good part of this is that we found an incredible avian veterinarian in the Alpharetta area of Metro Atlanta. Dr. Martinez of Loving Hands Animal Clinic. They handle all kinds of exotic animals. He was the most caring person and knows his birds.

A few days after Betty passed one of our other hens started acting strange so I took her in for a checkup. X-rays revealed no nails and tests revealed a surprising lack of parasites. She just hung out in her nesting box all day. Dr. Martinez checked her over but there was really nothing else he could do for her.

Since then she's been hanging out in the nesting box a lot but she is now coming out occasionally on her own. Other than nesting constantly, she is acting normally, but no eggs for over a week now. We think she's missing Betty and going through early 'henopause'. She's just one year old. We love her dearly, eggs or not.

All we care about is if she's happy and healthy. We sure do miss Betty. I painted her portrait.

Back
Top Bottom