Goat chat thread!!!! All friends welcome!!

How many goats do you have??

Votes: 3 27.3%

Votes: 4 36.4%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 10-20

• 20+

• Total voters

MeredithW

Chirping
Feb 19, 2015
Minnesota
☼☼☼☼☼☼

☼☼☼☼I love goats, so I thought . . . well, why not have a chat thread to talk about them a lot!!???☼☼☼☼

All BYC rules apply

Be nice to each other!!!

Have fun!!!

(these are not my goats!)

My family has 6 goats, three of them are Nigerian dwarfs, and the other three are Pygmys!

Last edited:
These are my Pygmy Wethers Tony and Silver. They're adorable, but not so great with children and other pets! How can you tell how old goats are? The lady I got them from about a year and a half ago said Silver was 1, but didn't say about Tony.

Last edited:
Lovely goat pics :love I'm afraid I don't have any, well not yet at least. I'm hoping if we are able to move to a bigger place I will have enough and they are on the top of my list. I just love all things about them and think they are fab animals to keep. We had one at the farm where I keep the horse, we hand reared her and she was just great.

I do know that @NorthFLChick has some beautiful goats I'm sure she will pop by here and hopefully post some pics.

Maybe you'll get some. Mine are castrated males so they're not good for breeding or milk, but I use their pellets for fertilizer which works great. I initially got them to clean out an unused pen because the gate was too narrow to get in a lawn mower or tractor and weeds too tough to be cut by a weedeater. It looked like a jungle! They had it eaten in no time, and keep it cleaned out. Goats are useful and adorable!

It's quite a hodgepodge of different breeds, 13 wethers and one little girl, there are some Nigerian dwarf, some mixed with dairy, and some other dairy breeds, lamancha, alpine, sables, toggenburgs. I used to breed pygmies and Nigerians, but now I just aquire dairy goat boys, they are great pets and I like giving a home to someone who might get eaten if I don't take them, I like bottle fed kids, they are like dogs.

It's quite a hodgepodge of different breeds, 13 wethers and one little girl, there are some Nigerian dwarf, some mixed with dairy, and some other dairy breeds, lamancha, alpine, sables, toggenburgs. I used to breed pygmies and Nigerians, but now I just aquire dairy goat boys, they are great pets and I like giving a home to someone who might get eaten if I don't take them, I like bottle fed kids, they are like dogs.

Are any of your wether's aggressive towards children and other pets? Have you had any aggressive pygmies?
Both of mine are aggressive to other pets (dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits), if they get too close or in the way. My older one is aggressive towards children as well. They're both pygmy wethers.

Pygmies tend to be bit more rambunctious and feisty, and harder to keep confined. Mine will attempt to go at the dogs, but run the minute the dog move, the dairy goat boys are more laid back, they can be pushy if you are feeding, but they don't do as much butting of each other than the smaller ones. I don't have human kids, but I don't think they would have been aggressive, I don't ever participate in goat head butting games nor do I allow climbing on me when they are young, I always get pairs so they have each other for that, these last two, the lamanchas, hardly do any of that behavior, they mostly yell for food, which is irritating, I think I won't get that breed again, I had a Nubian and loved him to death, I still miss him. That's part of the reason for getting away from the miniatures, I'm getting older and I like more laid back animals.

These are my Pygmy Wethers Tony and Silver. They're adorable, but not so great with children and other pets! How can you tell how old goats are? The lady I got them from about a year and a half ago said Silver was 1, but didn't say about Tony.

I know you can tell how old they are by the teeth. . . .I think that's the easiest way . . . although I personally don't know how!!

This might help: http://www.acga.org.au/goatnotes/B010.php

Back
Top Bottom