Is it too cold for my runners??????

liv22

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2015
Northeast, PA
Ok so I've had my black Indian runner ducks since June 12th 2015 and they were babies when I got them, I got 3 of them, 2 male, 1 female. I released them in around the end of August and they have been in a large pond since, and I feed them ducks pellets every day and they have been fine since, but I live in northern Pennsylvania and it is suppose to be very cold this weekend with temps in the single digits, and on Saturday night this weekend it's suppose to be -4 for the overnight temp with wind chills of up to -20 degrees below zero and then the next day it's suppose to only be 9 degrees, I'm very worried, the pond is frozen over except for the little area that they swim around in but every day it gets a little smaller but after this weekend it's suppose to warm back up again to like 46 degrees, so I'm really worried and i feel bad that there is nothing I can do but I would just like to know if they will survive, and I'm gonna feed them more pellets tomorrow, Please help I really love my ducks!
1f629.png

Ok so I've had my black Indian runner ducks since June 12th 2015 and they were babies when I got them, I got 3 of them, 2 male, 1 female. I released them in around the end of August and they have been in a large pond since, and I feed them ducks pellets every day and they have been fine since, but I live in northern Pennsylvania and it is suppose to be very cold this weekend with temps in the single digits, and on Saturday night this weekend it's suppose to be -4 for the overnight temp with wind chills of up to -20 degrees below zero and then the next day it's suppose to only be 9 degrees, I'm very worried, the pond is frozen over except for the little area that they swim around in but every day it gets a little smaller but after this weekend it's suppose to warm back up again to like 46 degrees, so I'm really worried and i feel bad that there is nothing I can do but I would just like to know if they will survive, and I'm gonna feed them more pellets tomorrow, Please help I really love my ducks!
1f629.png
@liv22 do you know what you did by taking your ducks and letting them go at a pond is called abandonment? I am very concerned about your Runners they don't have near the body fat as other domestics and I think they are going to really suffer in those frigid temps plus with out water they are very much in danger of predation from wild animals and dogs. Please go and get them and bring them home for good. If you can't care for them please look for a home for them there are people on the Penn. thread at "Where am I where are you" or contact @MotorcycleChick she lives in Pa. also she maybe able to help you find a loving home for them. But please don't leave them at the pond. I'm not saying you don't love your ducks but it's a mind set alot of people have that they can let their domestic ducks go at a pond or lake and they will be fine. They won't because of things just like this weather and preds.

Last edited:
@liv22

It's so good you are reaching out, and I can tell you care about the ducks. Your worry is telling you something, too.

Please see if you can get some help rounding them up (they like treats, yes?) into a temporary pen so that you can put them into a pet carrier or even a sturdy cardboard box that will hold them while you transport them to a utility room, a bathroom, some place that will stay above freezing. It's just temporary, till you can take a breath and sort things out for everyone's best.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom