1st TIMER/ setting 14 EE's eggs today! ANYONE ELSE JOIN ME?

clfromok

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Hastings Ok
I'm so excited but trying not to get my hopes up too high. I'm useing some pullet eggs & some (much) older hens eggs I thought were spent/ stopped laying in heat of 2012 summer! They surprised me & started laying again when I brought home the roo's.
I have a little giant still air incubator.
I have to keep telling my self that I may not get any chicks- so many factors & things can go wrong plus I am a newby. I didn't even turn eggs the4 days I had them stored. Cool area pointy end down but thought I only start turning once they were in bator. Oh well, we will see.

Hi Adam7.
I added 2 more eggs straight from the chickens butts to the bator! LOL.
From my two favorite girls- just a few hours behind the first 14. 16 in all
Good luck & hope you get lots of happy healthy chicks!

Last edited:
I candled but cannot see any veining. Just the dark yoke. No ring around the air sack though.
I hope I didn't collect the eggs too soon. Had only introduced (after quarantine) our roosters (who were happily doing their part) to the ladies about 4 or 5 days before I started storing the eggs for the bator.

Last edited:
Well try try again, I guess. My first attempt was a bust. I learned what mistakes I made right from the start.
Probably should have given the young roo's more time to fertilize than just three or four days.
-
You SHOULD turn eggs when storing before placing in bator.
-Should've Calibrate thermometer more carefully... I think.
and have the items needed before beginning.
I am not happy with tractor supply -the ONLY place I could find a hygrometer on line & they're not available in town close. So I tried Lawton who said they show 29 in stock (2 weeks ago) but they packed them up(seasonal) in stock room & can't find them! I've tried every where!!!to find one so I figured I would go ahead an set the eggs/ get one later.
- probably should have waited.

Last edited:
It looked like only two were fertile but never developed. The first two pics are of same egg. Fertile right?

Am I correct that this one is not fertile?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom