Leghorn Thread

Pics

KBHatchery

Songster
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Monroe, North Carolina
I looked around BYC and didn't find a thread that was for all varieties of Leghorns. So I decided to make one for everyone to post stories, pictures, and questions about/of their Leghorns. Ill start with pictures of my leghorns.

We are starting a small hatchery here in NC, and for our first breeds we decided to order from Murray McMurray Hatchery.
20 Females and 5 Males of both Leghorns and RiRs, 10 blue and 15 buff Silkies. My RiRs and Leghorns are growing on a daily basis now and we still have to get the coops, runs, and the office on the second floor completed. Today they are 5 months old, and their traits are more dominant to see what sex they are.

Nice looking birds.I know we like are leghorns.I got some Dark brown exbition order and like to get some nice white leghorns to.

Alright I will revive this thread. I'm posting pictures of my leghorns from about a month ago. I need honesty on whether on not they are worth keeping and breeding. I do not have a male and need to decide if they are worthy of getting one
bow.gif
. EDT: They just started laying a few days ago and their combs and wattles are bigger and redder.

Last edited:
My only experience is with bantam leghorns but I will chime in. Their tail angle looks really high in these pictures, can't comment on combs since you said they've matured now. Same thing with size, although if those are large fowl, in a standard large fowl cage they'd have to have done a lot of growing in that month. Do you have more current photos? The most alarming things to me are the tail angle and size.

My only experience is with bantam leghorns but I will chime in. Their tail angle looks really high in these pictures, can't comment on combs since you said they've matured now. Same thing with size, although if those are large fowl, in a standard large fowl cage they'd have to have done a lot of growing in that month. Do you have more current photos? The most alarming things to me are the tail angle and size.
I'll get some more current photos later today. Yes they are LF. I do agree that their tail are carried too high. A thing I have been noticing about their tails is that sometimes they will be well spread like in the photos but other times they look like someone just took it and scrunched them all together. Not sure what that is about. Would you say that that the angling is too high to even try to fix it?

Alright I will revive this thread. I'm posting pictures of my leghorns from about a month ago. I need honesty on whether on not they are worth keeping and breeding. I do not have a male and need to decide if they are worthy of getting one
bow.gif
. EDT: They just started laying a few days ago and their combs and wattles are bigger and redder.

How old are your girls?

I looked around BYC and didn't find a thread that was for all varieties of Leghorns. So I decided to make one for everyone to post stories, pictures, and questions about/of their Leghorns. Ill start with pictures of my leghorns.

We are starting a small hatchery here in NC, and for our first breeds we decided to order from Murray McMurray Hatchery.
20 Females and 5 Males of both Leghorns and RiRs, 10 blue and 15 buff Silkies. My RiRs and Leghorns are growing on a daily basis now and we still have to get the coops, runs, and the office on the second floor completed. Today they are 5 months old, and their traits are more dominant to see what sex they are.

Dumb me realized I said that the chicks above where 5 mo. old. - 5 weeks is what I meant to put lol. got to read over for mistakes more often.

I'll get some more current photos later today. Yes they are LF. I do agree that their tail are carried too high. A thing I have been noticing about their tails is that sometimes they will be well spread like in the photos but other times they look like someone just took it and scrunched them all together. Not sure what that is about. Would you say that that the angling is too high to even try to fix it?

Birds do hold their tail differently at times. Did these come from a breeder? If so you might want to contact them and ask their opinion, but I think just from pictures that their tail angle is too high and they are too small to bother with breeding.

Back
Top Bottom