Neighbors weiner dog killed all but one of our chickens :(

ksewell1183

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
I am so sad and disappointed, the neighbors dog got in our fence through another yard and killed all but one of our 5 chickens :(
we got too comfortable and I went to run errands and didn't lock them up in the coop. This happened mid day. I am confused about what to do with our 1 chicken that survived. I know chickens are flock animals and I am not sure if it will be ok to keep her. We did get 5 new chicks the day after this happened but the surviving chicken hasn't even wanted to come out of the coop since this happened! she seems traumatized!! I want to keep her but not sure if she will be ok alone until the other chicks are ready to go outside. I am also concerned with having to feed 2 different types of food. How would I keep the new chicks from eating her layer food? I would love some advice on what to do in this situation.. I want her to have a good life but if keeping her alone until the other chickens are outside is a bad Idea then I will do whatever is best for her. I am also concerned that her time alone will cause more problems once introducing the new chicks to her. Any Advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks....

Feed them all chick feed and offer a side of oyster shells for the layer...

As for the rest she will get over it and although the introduction of the new chicks can be a little hassle in short they will be a flock again...

She will be fine being alone for a bit, a lot less stressful on her than being introduced to a new flock and being on the bottom of the pecking order in a new place...

How old are they new chicks...day olds?

I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat and have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.
The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

Here's some notes I've taken on integration that I found to be very helpful.
See if any of them, or the links provided, might offer some tips that will assist you in your situation:

Consider medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Poultry Biosecurity
BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact. Integrating new birds of equal size works best.

For smaller chicks I used a large wire dog crate right in the coop for the smallers. I removed the crate door and put up a piece of wire fencing over the opening and bent up one corner just enough for the smallers to fit thru but the biggers could not. Feed and water inside the crate for the smallers. Make sure the smallers know how to get in and out of the crate opening before exposing them to the olders. this worked out great for me, by the time the crate was too small for the them to roost in there(about 3 weeks), they had pretty much integrated themselves to the olders.

If you have too many smallers to fit in a crate you can partition off part of the coop with a wire wall and make the same openings for smallers escape.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide out of line of sight and/or up and away from any bully birds.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

What have you done to address the dog issue with your neighbor? Unless this is addressed, you'll probably end up right back with dead chickens again. The advice on integration and feeding will help with those areas, but you do need to keep your chickens safe from marauding dogs and other predators. I'd discuss it with the neighbors and I'd put up an electric fence around the run if it were me.

We have been to the neighbors house and they are already in the process of fixing the fence so that shouldn't be an issue. The dog had to go through 2 fences to get to ours and both the fences are being repaired as we speak so unless the dog decides to start digging we shouldnt have the issue again. They said the holes were there when they moved in and the dog isn't a digger so I am hoping the problem is over. We are also going to keep a much closer eye and not let the chickens free range unless I am at home! :)

That's great news. Be aware however, that dachshunds are usually excellent diggers. If it were me, I'd still put an electric fence around the bottom perimeter of the run/coop area to keep not just dogs out but other freeloaders thinking you're serving all-you-can-eat chicken.

Be aware however, that dachshunds are usually excellent diggers.

Yep excellent diggers and very determined and stubborn prey seekers in most cases... As much as they have become a 'cartoon' dog breed, they were originally (and still are) breed as aggressive determined hunting dogs, they not only seek out and flush out burrowing animals they will dive head first into the burrow and dig the animals out...

I have a friend that is a professional hunter (he literally gets paid to hunt and has multiple sponsors) and a few years back he spent a boat load on a pedigree and pre-trained dachshund from a breeder... I still can't help but smirk when I see the dog in person but out in the field the dog is crazy good at it's job...

can u get a donkey or a mean boar or lama? lol something to smash him in next time they come around i have dogs also but mine are allowed to rip whatever comes into my yard (predatory) nothing has in a long long long long long time

I don't believe in personally setting traps and shooting peoples pets that is just an invitation to war and some people love their pets like their kids creates a ugly scary situation they will act on impulse and rage something no one needs in our already stressful busy lives. For not only your parents but for family.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom