I've got a pip! Looks more like a crack at this point, but hopefully I'll have a new little NN chick tomorrow. Hope the other two hatch as well, though one may not. It was funky looking when I candled, might have quit around day 14 or so as I could see through parts of the shell when moving my flashlight around on the shell. Either way, one is on the way. I'm going to be good and keep my anxious fingers away from the hatcher this time (no touchy, self!)
Okay I'm in lockdown. Candled, marked aircells. They all look pretty good except for that same one I could see movement in all but that one. I'm a nervous Nelly. I can even see ones beak, the one with the largest aircell, not sure but it may have been already internally piped. Day 19 and counting. ....
I enjoy reading about all the excitement everyone shares for each new pip or chick that hatches... As you can see from my info, I'm a newbie. I am constantly learning from all of you, and from mistakes!
My husband, his friend and I share the expense, duties and pleasures of our flock, but I'm the one interested most in ducks and hatching them this year. I began collecting eggs for hatching when frequent rains caused our pond to overflow in early March. One large nest was under water for over 8 hours! I read that the eggs chill very easily and die, but decided to try my luck (pond temps were mild and we had some warm days just before the rain.) About 22 eggs from the flooded nest went to a friend's incubator immediately, while 30 eggs I collected went into my new Farm Innovator incubator on March 16. They are now in lockdown!
Please note: the image of nest is of the second nest my mallards made on high ground. It contains duck and guinea eggs.
At the moment we have a mated pair of mallards, a black drake that could be a Cayuga, a crested fawn and white runner drake named Harpo, a large Indian runner drake and 4 very sweet runner hens. The eggs I collected were lovely - ivory and pale blue. I found them all over the yard. I felt certain they were all duck eggs until a chick hatched on April 7th. We candled the eggs and pitched 7, so I'm down to 22. I can't wait to see what happens!
I marked the eggs with date, and with condition they were found in, since some were in water and some were dry. It's my own little science project. I believe I've got the fever!!! . Congratulations to everyone who has new chicks, emus or guineas. One day we might try pea fowl and turkeys. Happy Hatching!
Iv'e done the pea fowl and turkey's , and soon will be doing guineas, emu will need to wait at least one more year.
Well, it was 3:45 am when I got up, because I want to go to school and see if I have any pips yet. But, I have to wait for my own kids to get up. They ride to school with me (out of town.)
I have 7 eggs on Day 21. One was dropped and is cracked pretty badly, on day 19, but the membrane doesn't appear to be cracked, so I'm hopeful that it will also hatch!
I peeked in yesterday, and panicked when I saw the temp down to 84.5 degrees, but then I realized that the incubator was in it's hour of cooling mode (Brinsea.) It shouldn't be cooling on day 20, but there was no way to stop it, so hopefully it isn't a big deal. I'm not wild about the small Brinsea, but it is great for my students' ability to view, and when I have 18 little first-graders who all really really want to watch at the same time, an open view is VERY important! :-)
So, I'm crossing my fingers, and hoping for a nice hatch, with the eggs I do have. I set 42, but I'm still trying to figure out what is going on with Mr. Rooster, and his lady friends. The rest were clear. The first 7 are from another pen. Mr. Rooster and his ladies got feather pluckings in the vent area yesterday, so hopefully that will help. Good luck to everyone hatching today!
Yes, those will fit in easy!