"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Today was a difficult day.
sad.png

I was working late because the secretary I assist had a lot that needed done. Well, the chicks had begun hatching this morning so I went out to check on them when I got home, joking that I would find them dead. Turns out, I got it right. When was headless on the ground, another was alive but had been scalped (we had to put it down as its skull could be felt and seen) and now a completely unrelated chick, April from my "April HAL" hatch, is showing signs of paralysis just like Amber did. Amber is the whole reason I joined BYC, but she ended up dying anyways. I'm so worried he won't get better and that more chicks will die at the hands of hens trying to lay in another's nest box. No, it wasn't a predator, it was just the hens fighting for space that led to this. Wicked little creatures they can be.

By the way, April (who is a boy I'm almost sure) is up in my room, playing in the pen with Lee and Aviator. He is sitting on the log, eating as much as he can (including vitamin rich scrambled eggs). He is good at gripping the log, but his legs keep wobbling and he has to lean over. I'm hoping the paralysis is just due to rapid growth without enough vitamins, because that can be treated. He's far larger than Aviator (he is a little older). Aviator and Lee seem to like the company, but April keeps calling for his mother and siblings, who are very angry that I took him away and now run whenever they see me. If only they knew that I was only trying to help.

Last edited:
My chicks that got cocci are doing well except for 1. She didn't make it. I still haven't added my last batch to the babies pen. I'm going to start them on preventative before i add them to be on the safe side.

Today was a difficult day.
sad.png

I was working late because the secretary I assist had a lot that needed done. Well, the chicks had begun hatching this morning so I went out to check on them when I got home, joking that I would find them dead. Turns out, I got it right. When was headless on the ground, another was alive but had been scalped (we had to put it down as its skull could be felt and seen) and now a completely unrelated chick, April from my "April HAL" hatch, is showing signs of paralysis just like Amber did. Amber is the whole reason I joined BYC, but she ended up dying anyways. I'm so worried he won't get better and that more chicks will die at the hands of hens trying to lay in another's nest box. No, it wasn't a predator, it was just the hens fighting for space that led to this. Wicked little creatures they can be.

By the way, April (who is a boy I'm almost sure) is up in my room, playing in the pen with Lee and Aviator. He is sitting on the log, eating as much as he can (including vitamin rich scrambled eggs). He is good at gripping the log, but his legs keep wobbling and he has to lean over. I'm hoping the paralysis is just due to rapid growth without enough vitamins, because that can be treated. He's far larger than Aviator (he is a little older). Aviator and Lee seem to like the company, but April keeps calling for his mother and siblings, who are very angry that I took him away and now run whenever they see me. If only they knew that I was only trying to help.
I'm so sorry!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

My chicks that got cocci are doing well except for 1. She didn't make it. I still haven't added my last batch to the babies pen. I'm going to start them on preventative before i add them to be on the safe side.
sorry about the loss, at least it was only one,
probably a good idea
Good luck with the rest!!

It was a beautiful pullet that I planned to keep. I have many more to choose from though. I want to keep 5 pullets and sell the rest. My grandsons brought home a very young wild turkey poult the other day. They found it by it's dead mother. In hopes of helping it survive they brought it to me. Unfortunately it didn't make it. It wouldn't eat and it acted depressed. I'm thinking it missed it's mother and just gave up. It didn't appear to be sick.

That same day a doe had gotten hit by a car by our house so we processed what meat we could get from her. We where so saddened when we gutted her and found out she was pregnant with twins. I couldn't find a heart beat in either of them. I tried to get them beating but it was too late. They both looked like they had about a week to go till their birth day. There was alot of blood in the sac so I suppose the impact killed them too. So we had too many losses around here the past few days.

It was a beautiful pullet that I planned to keep. I have many more to choose from though. I want to keep 5 pullets and sell the rest. My grandsons brought home a very young wild turkey poult the other day. They found it by it's dead mother. In hopes of helping it survive they brought it to me. Unfortunately it didn't make it. It wouldn't eat and it acted depressed. I'm thinking it missed it's mother and just gave up. It didn't appear to be sick.

That same day a doe had gotten hit by a car by our house so we processed what meat we could get from her. We where so saddened when we gutted her and found out she was pregnant with twins. I couldn't find a heart beat in either of them. I tried to get them beating but it was too late. They both looked like they had about a week to go till their birth day. There was alot of blood in the sac so I suppose the impact killed them too. So we had too many losses around here the past few days.
I'm so sorry!
it was a good idea of the boys to bring the poult to you though! they and you tried your best
i always want to cry when i see roadkill just left there, especially deer this time of year
lol, when i was in highschool- i cried when i hit a chipmunk
hide.gif

I'm so sorry. That's really tough.

We found a dead cat on the road a few days ago and I couldn't help but remember how devastating it was for us when our cats were hit and nobody seemed to care. My brother pulled over and I moved it off the road, into view of the nearby houses so her owner could find her and claim her body for burial. You could tell by her nipples she was a mother, so I really hope her babies were already weaned or nearing that age. Our shelter is really filling up with kittens right now, as kitten season has just started, so hopefully they found a good home there or somewhere else.

Some animal rehab volunteers will actually drive around and check roadkill animals, like opossums, for living young in or near them. Opossums often have living babies in their pouch that can be bottle raised until they are old enough for release. In Australia you can actually find wombat carcasses with a spray paint "X" on them, signifying they have been checked for joeys in the pouch.

I'm so sorry!
it was a good idea of the boys to bring the poult to you though! they and you tried your best
i always want to cry when i see roadkill just left there, especially deer this time of year
lol, when i was in highschool- i cried when i hit a chipmunk
hide.gif

I'm the same way. I can't help but want to give them a little respect. However, sometimes I can't help but wonder what would happen if no squirrels or raccoons ever got hit around here. Seeing as how there are still more than enough I would think we would be over-run by now!

LESS THAN SIX DAYS

to ENTER CONTESTS !!!!! @MyPetChicken

COOL New CONTESTS

w/ fantastic Prizes donated by…

i-kDcTPGfk1qTz7wqbYaWDF1SVWWLyDeZPfnT6Qq5WhIQQDYaFjgup8RJ1NafnbTG0JCGEDNCWpaTS7SrthAevspyg49BCYFZ6_ntlcBCR_Norca-Torkt_te3b1P2wJ-1QeZK0w

Remembering Our Fallen CLICK HERE

Random Drawing to be chosen from the stories.

If the winner doesn’t want a coop $250 MPC credit.

Poultry Shaming Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Show your Stripes! Patriotic Poultry CLICK HERE

Patriotic Party! Red, White & Blue Recipe/Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Shouldered Poultry Photo Contest! CLICK HERE

Poultry in Nature! Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Natural Eggs & Flowers Photo Contest! CLICK HERE

A FEW EXTRA CONTEST FROM OUR MEMBERS!

Head Shots Photo Contest! MAY HAL Members ONLY CLICK HERE

MAY "SHARE A LAUGH" CLICK HERE - Prizes are yet to be determined.

I hope its ok to join along, even though its for duck eggs. If not, let me know!

My little indian runner mama had been laying on some eggs for about a week now in some ferns in our yard, so we just let her be since this was her first time. Sadly and totally my fault, she drowned when she fell into a fairly large tote that had been collecting water and couldnt get out on sunday
1f622.png
she was already quite small and since nesting she seemed to get weaker even though i saw her get up to eat and drink. After we buried her i raided the nest and put all 13 of the eggs in my little diy incubator and hoped for the best. Sunday evening i candled them and i could see heartbeats!! Comparing to pics, theyre around the 6-8 day mark. Ive only incubated chicks before so im hopig its somewhat similar! I have the temperature sorted but just wantes to confirm that the higher humidity number i see is for wet bulb testing? What is the actual number with a regular hydrometer? I dont have a fan if that means anything. As well, im only able to turn 3x a day... can this still work?

Thanks all
1f603.png

Ooly

Back
Top Bottom