šŸ£šŸ„Black Copper Marans and Whiting True Blues. Lots of videosšŸŽ„

If it's 24/7 access to the ground I would be worried about diggers getting in. Foxes, bobcats, dogs, skunks, coons, weasels, rats etc. but I've heard of people putting a predator apron attached to bottom laying outward a foot or 2 to prevent predators.
Sorry I can't be too much help. I don't know too much about the tractors per se. It's nice looking tho.
It makes sense to have them locked up in the coop at night as second layer of defense.

Thatā€™s a good idea.
An apron of 1/2" hc attached to the underside of of your bottom sill plate extended out 2' would help there. You could lift it and attach to the sides with some 'S' hooks out of the way when moving it.
How many chickens would be comfortable in one of these tractors with a footprint of 10ā€™L x 6ā€™W? I think I have enough material to make more than one.
Btw theyā€™ll still get to free range when Iā€™m outside.

General rule is 4 sq.ft. coop space, 10 sq. ft run space and 1 foot roost space per bird.
If this pic is your actual tractor build then you need to measure the coop floor print. That will be your deciding factor, that and roost space.
1703995430921.png

By just looking at this pic, it looks like your center 'A' frame is set at 5' center.... and I'm just guessing here that it looks to be 3' wide.
So with them numbers..
10 x 6 = 60 sq.ft overall run (6 birds)
5 x 3 =15 sq.ft overall coop (3-4 birds)
Your roost bars could go the 5' length because that length doesn't change. But if you decide to put the roost along your width this number changes (shortens) because your elevating your roost off the floor and your roof pitch shortens.
All that blah blah means 3-4 birds max.
If I were you I would pose this question in a new thread asking specifically 'how many birds for this size tractor'... This way you get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion from others who have these tractors.

Last edited:
Hereā€™s an update video on the 4 week WTB chicks. I was out of town so they were cooped up for a few days. Within minutes of letting them out, a hawk lands on top of the coop and then it quickly exited the area.
The Marans are doing good and the WTBs are looking different after the few days away I've been away.

Last edited:
The whiting true blues are growing and doing well. Iā€™m liking the variety and have a feeling I will have more than one favorite before theyā€™re grown. The blonde chick with the muff looks like a cockerel to me. The barred chick also.

Back
Top Bottom