11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started incubating my third batch of eggs. My hatch ratio isn't very good, but I'm learning. I have a still air incubator that I rotate the eggs. I really need a NICE cream legbar rooster. This is my third and only 1 of them was any good, the others attack me as though I'm a threat. I love the breed but might change my mind if I can't get another decent one. The one nice one I had died of either heart or wet fowl pox issues. He was sweet enough that he'd go between his brother and i when he went to attack me. Wish me luck. I've got at last a dozen eggs in there.

Aww that was a little sad to read. Hopefully it was heart failure and not a disease.

I have my duck eggs laying on their sides and I turn them once or twice a day. When I had them in the vertical turner I had no issues, but I'm doing a staggered hatch so it doesn't work with a turner since you don't turn during lockdown.
I have a staggered hatch too. Will be using the same Bator until it's lock down for the EHAL Eggs..then they will go into my still Bator. The others will stay in the air until lock down. By then, my others will be hatched. Then I'll use the still again... love the still for hatching. The air doesn't dry out the membranes while pipped. It does tend to happen in the air bators.

Does anyone happen to be hatching duck eggs in a Nurture Right 360? I was just wondering if people had better hatch rates hand turning vs using the auto turner. It's day 10 and I have been manually turning 3x everyday since I've heard it's "better" for ducks:idunno but recently I've heard otherwise. And also, I just rotate them 180* from one side to the other however now I found (in a different thread) that you're supposed to flip them kind of like they're doing a somersault. Right now I'm a little confused since this is my first time using an incubator and I really want to get it right. A month ago, I made a DIY incubator for my first ever hatch and only 1 out of the 6 pipped and made it out of the shell, but she had some obvious neurological and internal issues and passed away a few days later. I was very attached to her so it was extremely sad and I don't want to make the same mistakes. Sorry for writing a whole essay of a post lol, but I'd appreciate any tips people might have.

I did last fall and am again now. The auto turner worked great for me too and is so much better for me than relying on my memory. And does a little turn every few hours which is better than I could do too. Last fall I harched 5 of 5 duck eggs ising it. This time I'm testing out my ducks' eggs so we'll see, but I love the trusty NR360. :) Good luck with your hatch!

Got my first round of chicken eggs set this afternoon - some Appenzeller's, some Bielefelder's, and some Copper Maran's. Still waiting on my Sapphire Gem's to arrive (they shipped yesterday) as well as my Show Silkies (which should ship sometime around this Thursday). My Sapphire Gem's will be in the same incubator as the ones I set today....so will be my first attempt at a staggered hatch. (Any tips would be appreciated. :) ) The Silkies will go into their own little incubator. Thinking of getting some Call Duck eggs after the 2 batches in my big incubator hatch. :)
I'm hatching bielefelders too (and biele mixes) this time to see how my roo is doing with his girls. Love them! Really great birds for so many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom