12 dead birds and charges filed *update 1st court date today*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in ranch country and ranchers have been known to put down their own dogs when they are caught killing or harassing calves or lambs. Once they taste blood it is known that they will kill again. Sad but true fact of ranch life. Too bad that your neighbor can't be that responsible.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had to type that into a search engine to find out what it was all about. Harsh. But appropriate in this case I think.

Unless of course we can send the perp a virus so nasty his computer explodes and scatters ones and zeros everywhere?

Of course we're all assuming the perp is smart enough to operate a computer, which may not be the case. His choice of legal strategies doesn't reflect great intellect and there's a good chance he's a thundering cretin.

Just wanted you to know I've read your story and feel your pain. We were being predated by a combination of coyotes and a neighbors cats. We caught the cats on security camera after we found several of our Khaki Campbell ducks dead, their necks eaten our but that's it. Our philosophy quickly became shoot, shovel, and shutup. I knew it was worthless to talk to the neighbor so we bought a couple traps from Harbor Freight, and using a store bought chicken leg caught one the other day. One merciful shot to the head and it's one less semi-feral cat in the neighborhood. Still trying to get it's buddy.

How do I know the cats were a terror? Less then a week after we demised the caught cat, I started seeing wild rabbits and chipmunks on our 4 1/2 acres for the first time.

Next, the sneaky yotes. Any suggestions that don't involve coffee and nightvision?

Quote:
First off,
welcome-byc.gif
Look into a good livestock dog that will tear up the yotes. Also come join us on the Kentucky threads. You will find a bunch of us hanging out over there.

Don't want to do dogs, got one already that considers chasing chickens a hobby. Luckily he's a coward at heart and doesn't know what to do after he corners one. Besides, heard too many horror stories of guy coming home to find his dog which he's spent hundreds of hours training with a favorite rooster dangling from his mouth.

I'll go looking for the KY forum.

Dogs aren't always the answer. Sadly when you have a gaurd dog of any kind you are setting them up for failure. From being attacked by coyotes/wolves/bear/ etc- as they can be mauled so severely that they will need to be put down. Also, for instance many years ago (I have told this story so many times) we had a german shepard/Newfoundland mix that had to be put down after she had been sprayed so severely with mace that it blinded her and she would run for the woods in fear when anyone drove in, including us.
So when I hear of people getting dogs for gaurding, I just step in and leave these experiences for you to think about.

Yeah, not a dog fan. Peacocks, eh? Interesting, I would think a yote would just consider a peacock a 'fancy' meal.
lol.png

I remember a neighbor getting a pair when I was a kid, they would yell 'help' in the middle of the night.

Dad hatched hundreds of peacocks when I was a kid. I think he had 15 to 20 laying hens at one time. Those things are NOISEY. They are beautiful birds but, they make a lot of racket and they don't care if it's 2 in the afternoon or 2 in the morning.

Quote:
I remember reading that someone, wishing to ingratiate himself with King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, sent Anne Boleyn some peafowl. She liked the appearance of the birds, but they set up such an unholy racket under her window that she couldn't sleep until she got rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom