12-Week-Old Easter Egger Pullet or Roo?

@house1917 I've come to thoroughly respect your opinion. Love to hear your piece.

I think I change my answer to pullet.
So we have a 50% chance on being correct in this one, right?!

Because of the saddle feathers, I thought 'no brainer, slow developing cockerel' but then the thread exploded and there were lots of pullet votes.

Too, the single-colored head with pattern only way lower on the next isn't typical of the old school EEs, the foot size, and the tail position- all say slow developing cockerel.

So I took a close look at the last photo if the set and there's another EE, that looks like a pullet with the same coloring. Can't tell much else as far as body shape, tail, but looks like it's from the same gene pool.

So...

I'm with @BastyPutt that now I think it's a pullet, but thinking it has to be an outcross with a Starlight or some other new/hybrid EE type.

I can tell I'm turning into a grumpy old man when I wish that old school EEs were the norm! And that's after raising a batch of Whiting True Blues- that were fantastic producers and very pretty birds.:old

So we have a 50% chance on being correct in this one, right?!

Because of the saddle feathers, I thought 'no brainer, slow developing cockerel' but then the thread exploded and there were lots of pullet votes.

Too, the single-colored head with pattern only way lower on the next isn't typical of the old school EEs, the foot size, and the tail position- all say slow developing cockerel.

So I took a close look at the last photo if the set and there's another EE, that looks like a pullet with the same coloring. Can't tell much else as far as body shape, tail, but looks like it's from the same gene pool.

So...

I'm with @BastyPutt that now I think it's a pullet, but thinking it has to be an outcross with a Starlight or some other new/hybrid EE type.

I can tell I'm turning into a grumpy old man when I wish that old school EEs were the norm! And that's after raising a batch of Whiting True Blues- that were fantastic producers and very pretty birds.:old

You’re right and I hadn’t mentioned it before but, another reason for my suspicion has been how similar my EEs looked as chicks— you could barely tell them apart! As they’ve grown they look quite different.

The one I’m sure is a Pullet is bearded, has a slightly smaller comb, and her coloring is a lot less stark between the head and body. Plus her head feathers are more fluffy and rounded. In general, she’s a lot more round!

That said— the EE in question is slightly smaller than she is. But also I just wonder if they are a slightly different EE mix? I got them at the same time from the same place though?

Here’s a couple photos of my other EE to show the difference. She’s really fluffed up in the first one cause she’s dust bathing!

IMG_1150.jpeg
IMG_1152.png

You’re right and I hadn’t mentioned it before but, another reason for my suspicion has been how similar my EEs looked as chicks— you could barely tell them apart! As they’ve grown they look quite different.

The one I’m sure is a Pullet is bearded, has a slightly smaller comb, and her coloring is a lot less stark between the head and body. Plus her head feathers are more fluffy and rounded. In general, she’s a lot more round!

That said— the EE in question is slightly smaller than she is. But also I just wonder if they are a slightly different EE mix? I got them at the same time from the same place though?

Here’s a couple photos of my other EE to show the difference. She’s really fluffed up in the first one cause she’s dust bathing!

View attachment 3515927View attachment 3515928

I wouldn't worry about that too much, that's precisely why they're called EEs. Because they very too much in type

View attachment 3515927View attachment 3515928
One things for sure...time will tell in the end right 👍

Hi there,

I have an Easter egger that I’m pretty sure is a Pullet but at the same time, her stance and tail look very roo-like to me. Plus, she (he?) is is the bully of the flock and can be aggressive.

What makes me think she’s a pullet— her comb is still pretty small in par with my other hens, she’s the same size as the rest of my girls if not a tiny bit smaller, and she hasn’t tried to crow yet.

What makes me think she might be a cockerel is her body shape/stance, her straight up tail, and how her head feathers are very markedly different in color to her body. Also her tail feathers look very rounded.

Anyway, I actually do want a roo, so if she is one, then I have my roo already — if not I have found a roo that needs a home, I just can’t take him until I’m sure.

View attachment 3515563View attachment 3515564View attachment 3515565View attachment 3515566
I have no doubt this is a pullet

Back
Top Bottom