**12+ Wheaten/Blue Wheaten AMERAUCANA ** Buy It Now

If I had my wish I'd say 3 boys and 10 girls
smile.png
We'd love to see an up-date!!!

We'd love to see an up-date!!!

I have 5 little cockerels who look like this (these pics are a bit old - they all have their muffs and beards feathered in now). They are super duper sweet, always wanting to be held, pet, carried around. If I sit on the steps they all run over and pile onto my lap :)

One beautiful blue wheaten cockerel.

One pale pullet that is.. maybe... a splash blue wheaten (totally guessing here).

A darker (wheaten?) pullet.

A (blue wheaten??) pullet.

A darker (wheaten?) pullet.

And meet Loca Underfoot my little special needs chick. She was born totally fine but developed cross beak and a rolled foot at about a month, almost like she'd had a stroke. She is super feisty (her name is because every time she sees me she runs circles around my feet and jumps up and down on them) and always has a full crop and drinks fine from a nipple waterer - so she gets to join the breakfast flock when she grows up, assuming she makes it. I also had 2 that I assisted at hatch that didn't end up making it.

When I did some googling I found a lot of reports that crossbeak is a more common genetic defect with the Ameraucanas (as well as Easter Eggers) and of the Ameraucanas it seems most prevalent in the Wheaten/Blue Wheaten varieties. I even noted that Cackle Hatchery includes a disclaimer about it on their "Easter Egger" listing http://www.cacklehatchery.com/araucana.html So I think it is something about the Ameraucanas' roots that seems to have a crossbeak issue somewhere in their history. I don't know if others with bigger operations like Paul Smith have been able to cull it completely out of their lines or not :idunno I did stumble upon the breeder forum where many are discussing just this issue. http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=2052.0

I won't breed Loca but I sure do enjoy her rambunctious personality. All of these chicks are the most friendly bunch I've ever had - not a shy one in the whole gang.

I just started a hatch yesterday. I will contact you to purchase some eggs once this hatch is complete. Your birds are beautiful by the way.

Back
Top Bottom