13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok-do you think tomorrow morning, maybe? Is it bad if others have externally pipped?
I don’t open if someone is zipping or close to it but just one pip in the shell should be fine if you open it for a second to get others out. You can use a spray bottle and just do one shot of water (mist setting) before you close it to help keep humidity up.

I move them out in batches based on how active they are so sometimes that’s once in morning and once in the late afternoon. I put them straight outside to brood so I don’t like doing it at dusk. I had one hatch really early, yesterday around lunch, and two of her hatch mates were out by morning. I moved those three early afternoon bc they were big enough and strong enough to start pecking at the new hatchlings. I have seven more that hatched over the rest of the day today and they’re in various stages of fluffing so they will likely go out in the morning along with any that hatch overnight that look dry by that time.

I don’t open if someone is zipping or close to it but just one pip in the shell should be fine if you open it for a second to get others out. You can use a spray bottle and just do one shot of water (mist setting) before you close it to help keep humidity up.

I move them out in batches based on how active they are so sometimes that’s once in morning and once in the late afternoon. I put them straight outside to brood so I don’t like doing it at dusk. I had one hatch really early, yesterday around lunch, and two of her hatch mates were out by morning. I moved those three early afternoon bc they were big enough and strong enough to start pecking at the new hatchlings. I have seven more that hatched over the rest of the day today and they’re in various stages of fluffing so they will likely go out in the morning along with any that hatch overnight that look dry by that time.
Yeah, one has started to peck at its buddies.

Ok! I’ll probably have my sister help for extra speediness. The incubator seems to get back up to humidity very quickly, too.
It’s usually best to have 2 people…..most incubators are not 1-handed friendly
And if chicks are very active, I’ve had them get caught in the lid :thor jump out and escape

Sleepy chicks.

Attachments

• 92F7E474-DA01-456F-B29A-A59CA1785C5A.jpeg
    92F7E474-DA01-456F-B29A-A59CA1785C5A.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom