2.5 year old drake having balance issues - vet was unsure of what's wrong...any ideas?

That is very close to what the book suggests. I apologize - I had lost track that you had already done that.
Oh, don't apologize, I just wondered if anyone had come up with something better so I would know if it would be worth tracking down that book. You and Lydia help so many people and their duckies on this forum I don't know how you even remember your own ducks, lol.
smile.png

I wonder if there is a way to put a wide strap over top to hold him in his chair? that way if he tried to wiggle his way out he would be able too.

I wonder if there is a way to put a wide strap over top to hold him in his chair? that way if he tried to wiggle his way out he would be able too.
Can you believe I hadn't thought of that?! LOL
tongue.png
I swear, sometimes the simplest solutions elude me.
I would want it under his wings so he could still stretch them out, I think...unless that would enable him to flip it by flapping his wings and then be trapped upside down...will have to try that out this evening. I'll let you know how it goes!
I was telling a friend about him earlier and joking about how when I saw him stand up like he did in this pic from last night on the way to the vet, I was hoping maybe he could learn to stand upright like a person and walk around again, lol. Obviously a joke, but it's funny to imagine.

Can you believe I hadn't thought of that?! LOL
tongue.png
I swear, sometimes the simplest solutions elude me.
I would want it under his wings so he could still stretch them out, I think...unless that would enable him to flip it by flapping his wings and then be trapped upside down...will have to try that out this evening. I'll let you know how it goes!
I was telling a friend about him earlier and joking about how when I saw him stand up like he did in this pic from last night on the way to the vet, I was hoping maybe he could learn to stand upright like a person and walk around again, lol. Obviously a joke, but it's funny to imagine.
Aww he's such a sweetie. I've seen dogs stand like a human and walk when they didn't have front legs.. I think like you said your going to have to play around with the strap but if you have to put his wings under when your not able to watch him close you could always let them be loose when you are there to keep and eye on him .

I haven't had a chance to redo his walker yet. I had an out-of-town trip, plus I've been struggling with what the vet said. I didn't mention it before, but she strongly hinted that he should be put down (said she had a duck with a similar issue and that's what she ended up doing, and later told me about the euthanasia procedure). I cried most of the way home thinking about it, and keep crying off and on even now.

When I came home this morning, he look so sad and pitiful that I almost started to think she was right. I mean he can't even swim very well anymore - I have to help tip him back upright otherwise I'm quite sure he would drown.
sad.png
I put him in his walker earlier and a little while later I heard funny sounds. He was breathing weird, like really noisy with his mouth open. I tried to give him some water to drink but he wouldn't take it (he doesn't often eat or drink while in his walker...dunno why) so I figured it was a good time for a bath. He was excited about that - practically flew out of my hands into the tub, lol. Since I got him out I haven't heard/seen the weird breathing anymore. And he seems to be in much better spirits, flapping his wings and preening and trying to stand up.
0.jpg

But look what he's done to his toenail:

I don't know how long it's been like that...surely we would have noticed at the vet. What on earth do I do? I don't dare try to clip it until I have some styptic powder (which I know I should have on hand, but I've never needed it...), but once I have that, should I try to clip it? How much of it? Or do I just let it resolve itself? What if he rips it out accidentally and I'm not here to help? I just keep cringing when I look at it - eek! Poor duck - just can't catch a break!

Also, his eyes occasionally foam up and swell up...I thought duck eyes only did that if injured, but his just seem to come and go, like it was kinda foamy this morning but he looks fine now. Is it just a response to stress or something? His whole eyelid swelled up the day before I took him to the avian vet and stayed that way for days, until around the time he started eating again I think, give or take a day.

I think what bothers me the most about the vet's "diagnosis" is that there really wasn't one. She wasn't sure why he couldn't put his leg underneath him, but she was very sure he couldn't be helped. How could she possibly know that? I mean, I'm no vet, and I don't know what all could be wrong, but really - ALL of the possibilities are untreatable? Even with surgery? I'm just skeptical, and I wish I had the disposable income to not fret so much about getting a second (more expensive) opinion.

Last edited:
Bless his heart he really tried hard didn't he. The nail will probably fall off on it's own iIwouldn't clip too much blood in there yet, if left to come off on it's own probably by the time it comes off the blood won't be much, if he pulls it off before it will bleed but He won't bleed to death. I had one of mine break her nail back and it bleed alot but didn't affect her health.

I don't know what could be going on with his eyes unless just dry heat. you know how we can get dry eyes from the heating inside in winter. Maybe just trying to get him to dunk his head more will help, I like to use Veterycin spray when I see foamy eyes with any of mine. it's safe and works real well no need to hold them still, I just point and spray.

Yo know only you can make the decision on when and if Bull winkle has had enough and is ready to call it quits. I think you'll know. Very hard decision I know for a fact. But I don't think the medical professionals can treat unless there is a drug to fix anything and there isn't a drug for Bull winkle. Surgery well possibly but she must see him as maybe not worth it because of what he is "a Duck" I don't know for sure though since I'm not her. Just my way of thinking which can be weird at times.

I know this is hard and frustrating but you have done far more than most would and I think your great for doing it. All you can do is make his life as comfortable as you can and continue to give him love . then if and when the time comes you'll know you did your best.
hugs.gif

Foamy eye can be the beginnings of an eye infection, and like Miss Lydia wrote, head-dunking can ward that off.

Something duck lovers must work with is a mindset that says "livestock" animals, if not treated easily, are to be euthanized. I disagree.

Ducks have a strong will to live, and they know when it is time to go. I feel, from reading your posts, that you and Bullwinkle are still working through this together. It may be difficult, but I feel you and he will benefit if you keep trying at this point. Trust your gut. There is a sadness that comes from saying goodbye when it is time, and there is a sadness that comes from thinking you have to do what someone else tells you that your heart knows is wrong.

That's been my experience.

Bless his heart he really tried hard didn't he. The nail will probably fall off on it's own iIwouldn't clip too much blood in there yet, if left to come off on it's own probably by the time it comes off the blood won't be much, if he pulls it off before it will bleed but He won't bleed to death. I had one of mine break her nail back and it bleed alot but didn't affect her health.

I don't know what could be going on with his eyes unless just dry heat. you know how we can get dry eyes from the heating inside in winter. Maybe just trying to get him to dunk his head more will help, I like to use Veterycin spray when I see foamy eyes with any of mine. it's safe and works real well no need to hold them still, I just point and spray.

Yo know only you can make the decision on when and if Bull winkle has had enough and is ready to call it quits. I think you'll know. Very hard decision I know for a fact. But I don't think the medical professionals can treat unless there is a drug to fix anything and there isn't a drug for Bull winkle. Surgery well possibly but she must see him as maybe not worth it because of what he is "a Duck" I don't know for sure though since I'm not her. Just my way of thinking which can be weird at times.

I know this is hard and frustrating but you have done far more than most would and I think your great for doing it. All you can do is make his life as comfortable as you can and continue to give him love . then if and when the time comes you'll know you did your best.
hugs.gif
Yes, he sure did. It's like he knew what I was typing about and trying to show me he wasn't giving up yet.
love.gif

That's so good to know about his toenail. I knew they could bleed badly, just wasn't sure how bad. I couldn't get a picture clear enough to show it, but it kind of looks like it already did bleed just a tad and dried up. I haven't seen any blood on his towels though, which is odd.

Oh geez, I never thought about the heat! He's right next to the baseboard heaters in my bathroom. I don't think I could fit a large enough bowl in his box for eye dunking though...guess I'll have to figure out some other solution to that.

I even asked if surgery could correct it and she said no. I just don't see how she could know that if she doesn't even know what exactly is wrong. I have always thought so much of this vet office but after that visit I'm starting to wonder...
I'm gonna keep searching for a vet school within driving distance that does discounts. Surely they would love to have a good puzzling case like this - right?
wink.png

During my searching yesterday I found this: http://www.lemontheduck.com/id11.html Gave me a few ideas (and some hope!)

Foamy eye can be the beginnings of an eye infection, and like Miss Lydia wrote, head-dunking can ward that off.

Something duck lovers must work with is a mindset that says "livestock" animals, if not treated easily, are to be euthanized. I disagree.

Ducks have a strong will to live, and they know when it is time to go. I feel, from reading your posts, that you and Bullwinkle are still working through this together. It may be difficult, but I feel you and he will benefit if you keep trying at this point. Trust your gut. There is a sadness that comes from saying goodbye when it is time, and there is a sadness that comes from thinking you have to do what someone else tells you that your heart knows is wrong.

That's been my experience.
I think she nailed it with the heat. Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. I moved him to the other side of the room, between my sink and shower.

I was just so startled by the vet's answer because not only have I taken rats to her and received great care, but as I was going in, another lady was going out and she pointed to me and Bullwinkle said "see? you're not the only one who brings me fowl!" and mentioned she had been treating her chicken for a while, and I think she even said she'd done surgery on it. I just never got the impression that she was one of "those" kind of people, but maybe I was wrong. Or maybe I'm just too optimistic and naive about his situation...it's hard to tell sometimes.

90% of the time I feel like he absolutely wants to live and wants to be a regular duck again. Until he gives up, I'm not giving up. He's much less grouchy the past day or two, which helps. For a few days there I really started to think he was very unhappy and possibly suffering. Now he's back to just biting at my watch and phone when he sees them, which he's always hated, lol.

Back
Top Bottom