2.5 year old drake having balance issues - vet was unsure of what's wrong...any ideas?

Yes, he sure did. It's like he knew what I was typing about and trying to show me he wasn't giving up yet.
love.gif

That's so good to know about his toenail. I knew they could bleed badly, just wasn't sure how bad. I couldn't get a picture clear enough to show it, but it kind of looks like it already did bleed just a tad and dried up. I haven't seen any blood on his towels though, which is odd.

Oh geez, I never thought about the heat! He's right next to the baseboard heaters in my bathroom. I don't think I could fit a large enough bowl in his box for eye dunking though...guess I'll have to figure out some other solution to that.

I even asked if surgery could correct it and she said no. I just don't see how she could know that if she doesn't even know what exactly is wrong. I have always thought so much of this vet office but after that visit I'm starting to wonder...
I'm gonna keep searching for a vet school within driving distance that does discounts. Surely they would love to have a good puzzling case like this - right?
wink.png

During my searching yesterday I found this: http://www.lemontheduck.com/id11.html Gave me a few ideas (and some hope!)
Oh my how precious, there are so many special people out there giving special hope to some very special animals. You included.

He really needs to go back to the avian vet, and I'm still paying off his bill from last time. I hate asking for money; I feel if you're going to have pets you should be able to care for them, but I think most will agree this is a pretty unique and extraordinary circumstance. It's the only way I'm going to be able to get him the help he desperately needs deserves.

http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-bullwinkle-the-duck-walk-again-/282211

He really needs to go back to the avian vet, and I'm still paying off his bill from last time. I hate asking for money; I feel if you're going to have pets you should be able to care for them, but I think most will agree this is a pretty unique and extraordinary circumstance. It's the only way I'm going to be able to get him the help he desperately needs deserves.

http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-bullwinkle-the-duck-walk-again-/282211
I hope you can get alot of support for Bull Winkle that face alone tells the story of what a special boy he is.
How's he doing today?

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't responded sooner - I've really been struggling for the past week or so. I've been posting Bullwinkle's story on another forum too and at least a half dozen people there have stated that I should put him to sleep. So I've been analyzing my motivations and his quality of life, and have am starting to come around to thinking they may be right. It's just such a horrible and difficult decision to make. He has so much life and personality in him. :( If he would ever lose his appetite I think I would be on board with it, but if he still gobbles food and yells at me when his bowl gets too empty for his liking, how miserable could he really be? And don't most animals stop eating if they're in pain? But he is really not likely to ever get any better, and he has so much difficulty swimming now....if a duck can hardly even swim, what's the point in being a duck? So I pretty much just sit there, holding him, crying, and going back and forth about what I should do.
hit.gif

I don't want to make it more difficult for you, but it sounds like he is not ready to go.
I agree Amiga as long as they are enjoying eating and interacting then I feel the same way. I really think you'll know when the time is right. Bull winkle will tell you.
hugs.gif

Thank you both, so much!
hugs.gif

One of the folks on the other forum went to far as to call me selfish for keeping him alive. I was quite indignant at first (let's see him deal with all those duck-poo covered towels every day!), but then decided I should at least give it some serious thought. I have only ever had to put one other pet to sleep - she was a precious little rattie that kept growing tumors. After 3 surgeries and her being near the end of a rat's normal lifespan, I decided enough was enough. I know it hurt, and I know I cried like crazy, but I recall being a lot more sure of my decision for her. So for now I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Just wanted to let you all know that as of last Tuesday, my precious Bullwinkle is gone. I began to feel he had little quality of life, despite still having a good appetite. He couldn't walk or fly, and could barely swim, which is pretty much what being a duck is all about. He wouldn't/couldn't use his walker and his other leg was giving out as well, so he just sat in a box pretty much all the time, and when he had a swim he would be so waterlogged that he'd often get flipped on his back unable to turn over. It was very, very sad, and I just couldn't leave him like that any longer. I am heartbroken though, and thanks to 15 inches of snow am still unable to lay him to rest. :( I miss that boy SO MUCH.

Rest in peace, my beautiful boy <3

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you all know that as of last Tuesday, my precious Bullwinkle is gone. I began to feel he had little quality of life, despite still having a good appetite. He couldn't walk or fly, and could barely swim, which is pretty much what being a duck is all about. He wouldn't/couldn't use his walker and his other leg was giving out as well, so he just sat in a box pretty much all the time, and when he had a swim he would be so waterlogged that he'd often get flipped on his back unable to turn over. It was very, very sad, and I just couldn't leave him like that any longer. I am heartbroken though, and thanks to 15 inches of snow am still unable to lay him to rest. :( I miss that boy SO MUCH.

I have no words to heal but want you to know I feel you did the right thing. You gave him the best life had to offer . Just rest in the fact he knew you gave and devoted your life to him while you had him. He is struggling no more.
hugs.gif

Rest in peace, my beautiful boy <3

What you did was very brave, and you had the grace to not only fight alongside him, but also to recognize when he was trying to tell you that the fight was over and it was time to let him go. Very few people have that grace, and even fewer are willing to accept it when the time comes. Even though I never knew Bullwinkle, it's obvious he had a wonderful life and loved you very much. You not only gave him a great quality of life, but you gave him a peaceful end free of pain. I wish all pets could be so lucky.

What a lovely tribute you made for your baby boy. Such a beautiful photo collage and eulogy.

Back
Top Bottom