2 questions about my roo...egg song & mating

chicksngoats

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
So these questions have absolutely nothing to do with one another...

1. I have a 4 1/2 month frizzle roo that has been trying to do the 'wild thing' with the ladies for the last month or so, but today I saw him actually succeed with one of the hens (a 5ish month RIR). She actually cooperated and let him do his thing. My question is why did she suddenly decide to let him? Does that mean she's getting ready to lay? Or that she might already be laying (they free range all day, so I prolly won't see the eggs when the start).

2. Why does my rooster sing the "egg laying song"? I've caught him doing in about a dozen times now. The first 5 or 6 times he did it I thought for sure it was one of the ladies and when running like crazy through the yard trying to find the "secret" nest that they were laying in...then after about 5-10 mins or so, I finally figured out that it was him. Does he just like watching me make an idiot of myself or is there some purpose to him singing the egg song?

Thanks!

My hen became submissive when she started to lay-before that she didn't want anything to do with him!

My neighbor says when one of her hens sings the egg song, all of her chickens start singing-I personally don't know about your rooster, that is kinda cute, though.

I agree - your pullet is either already laying or about to start.

All my roosters join in when a hen starts singing that she layed. Watching them, this is what I think - and these are my thoughts only.....

When one of my hens lay, she will typically jump off the nest and run away from it, squawking to draw attention to herself and away from her egg(s). I think it's a natural reaction and done for survival of the species. I have seen my new mamas do this same thing when a chicken hawk came down towards the babies - she ran off squawking and diverted the hawks attention from the babies. (She ducked under a trailer and thankfully the hawk got nothing!) Any way, when she runs off "singing" from an egg, the roosters then join in to draw attention away from HER. It's their job to protect the flock.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. It could also be that everyone just likes to sing ;-)

Penny

Quote:
Great explanation for the egg song. You're probably right!

That's my understanding of the egg song from what I've read on chicken vocalizations.

MrsChickendad is right. The egg song and certain predator alarms sound alot alike. That's probably what you've been hearing. That's not to say your roo won't join in on the actual egg song. He probably will.
Just because your birds free range is no reason that you shouldn't see your eggs when they are laid.
If the girls don't lay in the coop where they should, a few days of lockdown should correct that.
wink.png

Good information, thank you all so much for sharing! I didn't realize that the roo had a predator sound that sounded like the egg song.

I might go ahead and lock up my Red's since it sounds like they are about to start laying...I have way too many trees/blackberries and shrubs that they love to hang out in and could literally spend hours hunting for eggs
smile.png

Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom