2 roosts for 4 birds in small coop?

AccidentalChickenLady

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2017
I have a small prefab coop for my backyard flock of four (two adult EEs, a 10-month-old BR, and a 4-month-old BO)... Measurements are roughly 2 ft deep x 3 ft wide x 4 ft tall at the top of the peaked roof. The single roost runs the width of the coop, so about 33" (2.75'). The coop has a pop door that we leave open because here in Denver, CO, it's dry and even on the coldest nights the temperature doesn't get below zero degrees Fahrenheit. The local farmer who built the coop told us this size coop could house up to six birds, but I can't imagine adding more than we have in there now. The coop is attached to a predator-proof run, and the birds free-range in our yard on weekends and days when I'm home to keep an eye on them. There are two additional roosts in the run that the birds use during the day.

Everyone except the Barred Rock are new additions (see my post documenting their integration here) to the flock, so they are still figuring out their pecking order, and I've heard a fair amount of flapping and squawking as they coop up each night. I have NOT seen any blood or excessive feather-dropping when I check on them in the morning, and I've been trying to leave them alone as they coop up so my presence doesn't cause additional stress. Everyone is sleeping inside the coop, though I don't know if they're all on the roost each night or if someone is being banished to the ground or nesting box.

But given the conventional wisdom that we should have 9-12" of roost space per bird, I've been wondering if I should add a second roost to the coop. There isn't a ton of space to add a second roost, but I'm seeking input on whether adding another roost, a bit higher than the current one, would help alleviate some of the chaos at bedtime. Or would creating an upper rung further exacerbate the pecking order issues, with the top birds literally looking down on and perhaps picking on the lower birds?
IMG_0008.JPG

I'm also not certain that I *really* have enough space inside the coop to add a second roost, and I'd hate to spend a day updating their coop, only to have the birds injure themselves or each other on roosts that are too close together. The blue lines on the photo below indicate potential placements for a second roost, though the higher option would put the roost at the same level as some of the ventilation, so I want to be mindful of cold air getting up under their feathers.

IMG_1033.jpg

As always, I'm so grateful for any and all input here!

The roost should be far enough from each wall of the coop (and the ceiling) that the birds can comfortably turn around, stretch out a wing, etc. Since your coop is only 2 feet deep, with one roost right in the middle, it gives a foot to each wall. I wouldn't position another roost that would put the birds closer to either wall. (It might be worth peeking in on them with a flashlight after dark to see where everyone is sleeping)

Your coop is on the small side, even for only 4 birds. Since they get to free range and mostly only sleep in the coop, they may be ok, but I wouldn't lock them in there for any length of time. Based on your photos, a modification that would gain your birds some space would be if you can externally mount a nest box with a chicken access hole into the coop, and remove the milk crate from the inside. I'm working on a way to do this myself for my girls now that they are all full grown.

I have 11' of roosts for 9 RIR's and I've seen 8 on 4' so I think 33" for 4 birds is fine. Observe their behavior when they go to the roost and they will tell you how they feel about the situation.

JT

Last edited:
Thanks @PirateGirl! The suggestion to build an external nesting box with a chicken access hole is a good one - I hadn't thought of that! I'd be grateful if you'd share what you learn as you build one for your girls. I'm trying to think of some kind of prefab box (with a door for easy egg collection?) that I could basically just attach to the side of the coop after cutting an access hole... Perhaps I'll just wander the hardware store until I find something that works and could withstand some snow and wind in the winter months and hot, dry temperatures in the summer...
And yes, you and @jthornton are right, the girls really only sleep and lay inside the coop. I've never locked them in with the pop door closed, since we just don't get prolonged cold snaps here, and their food and water sources are out in the run. So they have constant access to the run, which has much more space and additional roosts for daytime perching.
I did just go peek at the birds after the sun went down today, and the three hens are all on the roost, while my Orpington pullet (who's on the bottom of the pecking order) was sitting on the poop board itself. Aside from some potential feather-poop collisions, I don't see a huge issue with the birds also using the boards to roost, since that does essentially double the amount of roosting space.
Sounds like perhaps I should leave well enough alone - and research external nesting boxes?

Back
Top Bottom