2014 New York Chickenstock

What a bummer...that Chuckie duck is allllll over his girls..it could have been the heat and the eggs sitting in the sun?? Im sorry...for both of us!!

Hi folks! Hope all is well! I can't catch up, been helping my folks every day and been crazy busy. Any spare time has been cleaning up the farm!

I have the 3 chickens, they are now 6 1/2 months old (hatched 12/31/13) 1 is definitely a rooster, Fredo crows. He only mates with the silkie. Both the little silkie and the frizzle cluck and they've never crowed. The silkie moved to the upstairs lever of the coop and the frizzle is now on the bottom. It's like "sister wives" in there. Fredo and the frizzle are like best friends and the silkie is like Fredo's "babe". Is this normal? None of them pick on each other, they all seem to be happy with each other. The frizzle is growing a plum colored nose thing and very small wattles, but in every other respect it appears to be a hen. Could the frizzle be a rooster too? Would a rooster only mate with 1 hen, if there are 2 hens available? Still no eggs yet.
If we take Fredo out of the coop he runs back in, he absolutely does not want to be away from the other birds at this time. They discovered cantelope and watermelon and are ferocious eaters when they get these treats.
One more ?, should I introduce them now to layer pellets? We have TSC and they are nearing the end of the bag of grower food. Do silkies eat layer crumbles or pellets? Are pellets too big to silkies?

I'm looking forward to the one in NYS. Can't wait. One is all I can handle. Plus I'm afraid of Sharks and Snipers.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom