2014 New York Chickenstock

Baby chicks can get through too. I wish I could afford to cover the lower section of my runs with hardware cloth.

Five EE's hatched out yesterday. Two lav and three black.

Moved the eggs from the one hen who hatched the five to another hen and she hatched another one. Black. Moved it to the first hen and hope all goes well even though it's two day behind. She seems to have taken it.

Found a broken egg under the second hen. Washed the remaining eggs but tossed the worst of the lot. Will they be okay?

Still have guineas hatching. They are taking their sweet time. I believe 19 have hatched so far, out of 30 eggs that made it to lockdown. Lots more pips. My silkie hen has eggs that are due to hatch anytime. I hope at least a couple make it, if not I suppose I could give her some guineas! Lol.

Baby chicks can get through too.  I wish I could afford to cover the lower section of my runs with hardware cloth. 

Five EE's hatched out yesterday.  Two lav and three black. 

You could use something other than hardware cloth- my bf works at a sign company and I used an unwanted banner to weave through the bottom two rows of fence. I just cut it to the 3"(?) size and zip tied each end to hold in place. It's not super pretty but it works! You might be able to think of another material to use that is more abundant to you... Duct tape? Maybe canvas?

You could use something other than hardware cloth- my bf works at a sign company and I used an unwanted banner to weave through the bottom two rows of fence. I just cut it to the 3"(?) size and zip tied each end to hold in place. It's not super pretty but it works! You might be able to think of another material to use that is more abundant to you... Duct tape? Maybe canvas?
Thanks I never considered other things.
clap.gif

OM word....you are SOOOO clever. I had to find some boards that would work inside the wire, outside of the table legs. How much easier would it have been to cut up a tarp (that already has holes in it) and zip stip it into place.

When my first chicks were still little I made a daytime play yard with the fencing. The holes were too big to keep little Peepers in so I used some spare yarn and weaved it around the holes so that she couldn't slip though. I didn't need it to be too strong. I only would put them in there when I was out there. When they were older and I needed the fence to finish their big run I just cut the yarn off. Then I put the pieces in a suet feeder for the birds to use as nesting material. After 3 days it was all gone...

I realized that after I checked the dates. Seems like soooo much longer..... I hope most developed. :) I just hatched 10/12 of mine and it had me thinking. :)

Turkey update for you! Three out, one externally pipped. I am so curious to see what they look like when they feather out!

Back
Top Bottom