2014 New York Chickenstock

Featherz--I can plan to have eggs for chickenstock. If you don't make it I'm sure someone would bring them home with them for you.
Ooo I would love eggs - just let me know how much.. I can meet someone in Albany if needed, if I have a car by then. (the Smart car is broken sniff sniff). Would love to go to chickenstock, but again, no good car to use at the moment.

I am hoping to have a dozen NN eggs and a dozen from county boy (with luck) for my hatch this year. Can't hatch too many or I'll have another winter next year of taking care of FOUR coops. :p

Ooo I would love eggs - just let me know how much.. I can meet someone in Albany if needed, if I have a car by then. (the Smart car is broken sniff sniff). Would love to go to chickenstock, but again, no good car to use at the moment.

I am hoping to have a dozen NN eggs and a dozen from county boy (with luck) for my hatch this year. Can't hatch too many or I'll have another winter next year of taking care of FOUR coops. :p

I thought I'd be down one and tried very hard but it just did not work out. Now I hope to organize things so I don't have to work so hard in the winter.

I've tried the nipple waterers but I didn't like them and thought the birds weren't laying as well due to not being able to get enough water. I switched to tubs but that means 6-8 gallons being lugged out each day, breaking ice and ugh! They did pick up laying but perhaps it had nothing whatsoever to do with the water?

Anyhow it's adding ducks this year, and hopefully moving one coop to a more accessible area. I've a plan for building a new duck coop, just for them and that will need to be placed in a workable area. I've books coming from the library on keeping ducks.

Anyone here have Goose eggs for hatching? To bring to the picnic. I hate the Chicken stock title it sounds so formal.

Oh FYI the lavender Festival is looking for Artist for this years poster. Sales of the poster will go to the Rescue mission. We've only been once and liked it. We've been trying to get there again but just haven't been able to make it.

Finger Lakes Lavender Festival
www.lockwoodfarm.blogspot.com

I thought I'd be down one and tried very hard but it just did not work out. Now I hope to organize things so I don't have to work so hard in the winter.

I've tried the nipple waterers but I didn't like them and thought the birds weren't laying as well due to not being able to get enough water. I switched to tubs but that means 6-8 gallons being lugged out each day, breaking ice and ugh! They did pick up laying but perhaps it had nothing whatsoever to do with the water?
I use nipple waterers spring through fall and have never had any problems - I do add extra bowls of water for temps > 85 juuust in case. :) (Plus they can stand in it)..

I COULD have gone down to three coops this winter but the timing just wasn't right. I still plan on putting my front coop birds in my back coop but I HATE mixing coops so I keep procrastinating. However, there's nine birds in a coop built for 6 and 20 birds in a coop that could easily hold 40. Just waiting for less snow so the run will be bigger. Will cut down on the scuffles I hope.

One of my other coops has bantams and I am concerned about the super big roos with the bantams so cutting that coop out may require I rehome the few cute little girls I have.

I went to the Lavender festival last year and the year before, hope to keep going. They have lots of things made with lavender, like ice cream and brownies and honey and creams...and you can cut bunches, and there are artists and crafters...it gets better every year.

I use nipple waterers spring through fall and have never had any problems - I do add extra bowls of water for temps > 85 juuust in case. :) (Plus they can stand in it)..

I COULD have gone down to three coops this winter but the timing just wasn't right. I still plan on putting my front coop birds in my back coop but I HATE mixing coops so I keep procrastinating. However, there's nine birds in a coop built for 6 and 20 birds in a coop that could easily hold 40. Just waiting for less snow so the run will be bigger. Will cut down on the scuffles I hope.

One of my other coops has bantams and I am concerned about the super big roos with the bantams so cutting that coop out may require I rehome the few cute little girls I have.

The cochin hen you gave me is doing good in with the big flock and two big buff orp roos, so you might be okay. Also, if you need someone to bring back eggs for you, I'm in Glens Falls twice a week anyway so I wouldn't mind :)

I just don't think they get enough water with the nipples, but I do keep water in them just in case too.

As for coops it can be hard since some of my girls prefer one roo over another and will go with him even if I transfer them to a particular too. OR they prefer a particular flock. Mostly they like to be with the Dels, which are not with anyone else.

Mostly I keep EE's and Frizzles in a mix with my other breeds since they won't matter much who the Daddy is. I do hope to get my bigger girls, SLW, RIR, Sussex with the EE roo so I get larger colored eggs. My RIR girls is with a Aruacana roo so here's hoping.
fl.gif

Since most everyone only spends the night in the coop, i don't worry about over crowding, though it would be better for them if I let them out at 4:30 am. The neighbors would not like that though.

I went to the Lavender festival last year and the year before, hope to keep going. They have lots of things made with lavender, like ice cream and brownies and honey and creams...and you can cut bunches, and there are artists and crafters...it gets better every year.

I grow lavender at home but the artists and other stuff draw me in. If I can get there. Something like that is good to go as a group with because of the parking. Wonder what it cost to rent a Birnie Bus?

The cochin hen you gave me is doing good in with the big flock and two big buff orp roos, so you might be okay. Also, if you need someone to bring back eggs for you, I'm in Glens Falls twice a week anyway so I wouldn't mind
smile.png
Yes but she's a killer - those boys are scared of her!!!! :) And that would be great! Sign me up for some eggies LOL. :) (I wish I had my poor little Smart Car)..

Back
Top Bottom